1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release BVHE Press Release: The Avengers/The Avengers Age of Ultron (4k UHD)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Message #1 of 22 Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    207638_front. 207639_front.

MARVEL STUDIOS TO RELEASE ‘THE AVENGERS’ & ‘AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON’

ON 4K UHD ON THE HEELS OF AVENGERS INFINITY WAR IN-HOME RELEASE

Digital Release is July 31, 2018 & Physical Release is August 14, 2018

THE AVENGERS SYNPOSIS:

Marvel makes cinematic history as the Super Hero team of a lifetime assemble for the first time ever in this action-packed blockbuster! Packed with spectacular visual effects, Marvel's The Avengers will blow your mind and now for the first time on 4K Ultra HD!

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON SYNOPSIS:

Good intentions wreak havoc when Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) unwittingly creates Ultron, an A.I. monster who vows to achieve “world peace” via mass extinction. Now for the first time on 4K Ultra HD, the Avengers must reassemble to defeat him and save mankind…if they can!

PRODUCT SPECS:

Release Dates: Digital = July 31, 2018

Blu-ray = August 14, 2015

Product Sku’s: 4K Ultra HD Digital

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Code)

Feature Run Time: 142:47 (Avengers)

141:09 Minutes (Ultron)

Ratings: U.S.: PG-13 (bonus features not rated)

Ultra HD Specs: The Avengers:2160p Ultra High Definition Widescreen (1.85)

English Dolby Atmos, Latin Spanish & Japanese 7.1 Dolby Digital EX, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio

Avengers: Age of Ultron:2160p Ultra High Definition Widescreen (2.39)

English Dolby Atmos, Latin Spanish & Japanese 7.1 Dolby Digital EX, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio

UHD Subtitles English SDH, Spanish, French Canadian, Cantonese, Korean, Japanese, Traditional Chinese

Blu-ray Specs: TheAvengers:1080p High Definition (1.78)

English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Audio Descriptive, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, French Canadian 7.1 DTS HDHR Audio

Avengers: Age of Ultron:1080p High Definition (2:40)

English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Latin Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Audio Descriptive Audio

BD Subtitles English SDH, Spanish, French Canadian

# # #

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

dpippel likes this.
  2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Glad to see these coming out in 4K, but MAN those covers are HIDEOUS.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, those covers are rush jobs if I've ever seen them.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    They've been using this new artwork on the digital versions for a while; I was scrolling through my iTunes library before Infinity War came out and noticed that all of my digital copies had changed from the original art to that particular style. I agree that they're not awesome!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  5. Message #5 of 22 Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Several of the older Marvel titles were reissued on Blu-ray earlier this year with matching covers in that style, including these two. While I don't like them either, if you were to buy a new Blu-ray copy of either one right now, that's what you would get. So I'm not surprised to see the 4K coves will match the current pressing of the Blu.

It makes me regret never picking up Ultron (or Ant-Man, which has a similarly hideous cover redesign) while they still had their original artwork intact.

It's interesting to me that they've caught up to doing this for Avengers but didn't put out Guardians 1 with Vol. 2 last year. I wonder when that one will come. The latest would probably be 2020 when the third one is due, but hopefully fans who want it won't have to wait that long for the upgrade.

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I will wait for reviews of the Atmos tracks before I double dip on these.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Beyond that, there's nothing differentiating them from each other. I guess they feel that since only fans are buying catalog titles, it doesn't really matter if they look the same.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    But will the Atmos be a Disney hatchet job or really mastered for home video?

9. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Someone tell me that's temp art! Other than that, I would love to have these on 4k.

10. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It's almost certainly the real art. These titles were reissued on Blu-ray recently and that is the cover art used; it is also the cover art being used for the digital versions now.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  11. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    Whoever signed off on that cover art needs to be fired.

Bryan^H likes this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Why?

I don't think it's great art, but I understand what they're trying to accomplish. They want iconic images of the heroes, in designs that look similar whether it's an Avengers piece of art or a Captain America cover or whatever. When you're scrolling through options on iTunes or other digital storefronts, the thumbnails are tiny, and even smaller if you're viewing on a phone. It would seem that this new artwork has two purposes. One of them is to give all of the films a consistent look so that it's obvious that, say, "Iron Man 2" is part of the same set of films as "Avengers: Age Of Ultron". And the other is to make it easily identifiable when scrolling through lots of titles. Since this is now the artwork that is associated with these titles both on digital platforms and for their Blu-ray reissues, it makes sense to me that the same artwork would be used on the UHD releases as well.

I don't think these are being designed to appeal to the physical media collector. I don't love the design, but it's not for me.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Lol. I'm sensing a disparity in uniform cover art

IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Right, the initial release will get either its theatrical poster art or a newly redesigned art for home video. But whenever it's reissued in the future, you can expect it to change to the style for Avengers and Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

Look at Captain America: CIvil War for instance. That was issued on Blu-ray in 2016 with cover art that was similar to its theatrical poster art. It was reissued on Blu-ray this year with cover art that matches those new designs.

Bryan^H likes this.
  15. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    I don't think there's anything iconic about either of those covers. To me they look like they were slapped together by an intern, and are just a huge mess. Disney can do much better.

16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Right, but I don't think the goal is to create an iconic cover - the original poster art is already pretty iconic. I think the goal is to have something that is recognizable as being Marvel Studios when viewed as a tiny thumbnail or seen from a distance - if you see one of those cases on a store shelf, you'll know it's a Marvel Studios production. If you scroll past one when looking through titles on Netflix or ITunes, you'll recognize that it's a Marvel Studios production.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  17. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    You mentioned that you thought they wanted iconic images of the heroes Josh. That's what I speaking to. I see nothing iconic there, rather just a jumbled mess of ho-hum Walmart composition with nothing going for it at all. My opinion of course.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You're absolutely right, Doug. I was thinking of iconic in a different sense, that the actual characters are iconic - but I completely agree that those specific images are not.

Jake Lipson and dpippel like this.
  19. Message #19 of 22 Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    This. Disney has also taken this step with recent Blu-ray + Digital HD reissues of the Pixar back catalog. Each of those features a single character's big head against a backdrop of a single color, and they're all designed in a uniform fashion. The initial releases of the Pixar films all have much more dynamic covers, but when the film gets trotted out again (usually in advance of a new Pixar theatrical release), the art changes to the method I've described. All Pixar films up through Inside Out have been re-released this way (I've seen the new editions in stores and own a handful of them), and I would expect the others to follow suit sooner or later. In the case of the Pixar titles, these also drop the DVDs that were included in initial releases.

The reissue of Inside Out appears to be the newest, with a release date of May 22, 2018 per Amazon. Check out the old art vs. the new art.

Inside Out original cover.

Inside Out Joy cover.

Does anyone here find the Joy cover more attractive? I don't -- none of the big-head reissues are -- but it fits with the pattern for Pixar titles (Toy Story has Woody on a white background, A Bug's Life has Flick against blue, etc.), so when you see them next to each other on store shelves, or in your digital libraries, it's clear that they come from the same brand because they look the same stylistically. The only recent exception to this trend for Pixar is The Incredibles UHD, which does not match its current Blu-ray edition, which is just Mr. Incredible's big head.

So this appears to be a new initiative Disney is trying with catalog titles from certain brands being reissued in a uniform style in order to reinforce connection with that brand. It's happening with at least Marvel and Pixar both.

20. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.