1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (4k UHD) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Josh,

I have never felt that way.

There are a couple of things at play here...

First, despite my mentioning of it above, I rarely buy anything I don't like. 2001 and some of the Star Wars films are an example of titles I have bought knowing I won't watch.

There are also things like RAMBO: THE COLLECTION where I know only a few films really hold up that I will watch again and others probably never. The same could be said for THE DIE HARD COLLECTION.

If the price is right, I'll buy a saga collection just to have them all but knowing I'll never watch all of them.

Also, there was a time when I was reviewing titles that the studios were just sending me all kinds of stuff. The bulk of my collection is DVD and a lot of those titles are still in shrinkwrap. I was being sent far more than I could actually review.

But there is a majority of Blu-rays in my collection still in shrinkwrap too. I was working crazy hours for many years up until retirement and I was buying more than I could actually watch.

I don't regret any of it. I think I was able to build a very eclectic collection of DVD titles from studio offerings. My Blu-ray collection, on the other hand, represents only the movies I really liked as I was not going to repurchase every DVD title I owned.

My 4k collection is even more restricted. There are a lot more favorites I could actually buy but I am being far more selective.

Where it is really, absolutely becoming out of control in the digital realm. To be able to buy HD movies for $5 and 4k for $12-$14 has put a sudden surge of excitement into my collector instincts and I see that I can go hog wild without sacrificing storage space.

Additionally, I share my Apple TV library with my brother who lives in another state and I get such a kick out of turning him on to my new purchases. He just bought a new 4k TV so he's taking advantage of the stuff I purchase.

I am convinced digital is the future.

Hope that sheds some light on things. I love talking collecting with people that understand it. Most people do not.

Darby67, Osato and Josh Steinberg like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s awesome!

Especially about being able to share your digital library with your out of state brother. I really started appreciating digital when I met the woman who would become my wife. When we first met, we worked at the same place but I lived nearly two hours away from her. She lived much closer to work so when we started spending time together it usually made more sense for me to go to her than vice versa. And all of a sudden, those digital copy codes had some use because I could watch things I had with her even if I hadn’t planned ahead and brought a disc.

Anyway, as long as your physical collection brings you joy and you don’t feel annoyed at the sight of stuff you don’t like mixed with stuff you do, more power to you! :) I have movies I don’t like that I’ll enjoy collecting anyway (like the lesser Bond movies) but then there’s stuff I didn’t like that was just taking up space. I’m trying to keep the former while cutting back on the latter.

Darby67, Osato and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Mark,

You have pretty much nailed it.

You know, when we were young, our collecting hormones were in full swing. We went to the store and bought everything that we could afford, quickly filling our shelves with something to not only watch but show off.

But now that we are older and wiser, we look at a lot of this stuff and realize it's only going to sit and collect dust for eternity.

You are right, there is no resale value in those DVDs. Not much in the Blu-ray titles either.

What I really find horrifically sad is how much money I have just thrown away on dead formats.

There was a time I was showing up at the video store and buying $80 VHS new releases. I had hundreds of them.

Laserdiscs were less expensive, but a few hundred at $40 each is significant.

All those VHS tapes were trashed. No value and nobody wanted them. I held on to my Laserdiscs for too long and they are pretty much worthless.

Thousands of dollars spent on stuff I just bought over and over and over again on newer formats.

However, I am sure most everybody wasted that kind of money on their hobby and never thought twice about it. Thank God I didn't waste money on drugs.

atcolomb, B-ROLL, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

I shouldn't be broadcasting this. I suspect not a lot of people across the globe will read this...

At this point, as I understand it, many of these streaming services aren't clamping down on family sharing outside of the source home.

My brother is on my family share plan with Apple, but I don't think that includes access to Apple TV. However, he can watch all my purchases and that makes those purchases more worthwhile in the same way, Josh, you were able to share it with your wife.

Osato likes this.
  5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    IMO Ron, as long as you've ENJOYED your collecting, then the money wasn't wasted at all. There are all kinds of hobbies and pastimes that are far, far more expensive to indulge in than collecting films on home video, whatever the format.

B-ROLL, Darby67, TravisR and 3 others like this.
  6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Good point.

I would almost estimate that movie collecting falls low on the spectrum of expensive hobbies

Darby67, Osato and dpippel like this.
  7. Message #47 of 89 Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

Yeah, I don't regret amassing my collection at all. There's a lot worse stuff I could have gotten into. And it's great to know I have the ability to reach for a copy of an obscure Jean Harlow movie whenever I've got the time to watch it, even though I rarely if ever have the desire (or time) to do so any more. Times change, priorities change. That's life. I enjoyed it while it lasted.

In a way I liken it to my obsession with video games in elementary school up through college. Sure, I spent way too much money and time on something that didn't really add much value to my life in the grand scheme of things, but I still have fond memories of those days and had a blast at the time.

Darby67, TravisR, Osato and 1 other person like this.
  8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I wonder, outside of the Star Wars franchises, is there another set of movies where so many people drop into a home video release announcement thread just to say how much they hate/aren't going to buy it?

Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely respect peoples' right to like/dislike any film. But that's usually hashed out in the Movie Thread of that particular title. But this franchise seems to inspire people to drop into home video release threads just to say how much they disliked the film and won't be buying it. To what end, I'm not sure. To continue voicing their displeasure at any outlet? In hopes they might dissuade someone who liked the film from buying the BD/4K release (little chance of that, I'm afraid).

Just an interesting phenomenon/observation.

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

That's a very good observation

And you know what? My guess is, no matter how much you like one film over the other and have a distaste for another, most everyone is going to buy all the films anyway.

This is certainly the case with me. With Star Wars, people tend to complete their collections no matter what.

Osato likes this.
  10. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker a LOT and will be buying the 4K disc. I wish I could justify buying the big collection, but it’s just too incomplete in my eyes in many ways. I’m not paying that much money unless it’s an end-all-be-all (replace EVERYTHING SW I have on home video) sort of thing. I MAY upgrade some of the titles on individual 4K releases, but only if I eventually find them cheap. Regardless of that, getting The Rise of Skywalker will make me perfectly happy with my SW collection, even if it’s a hodgepodge from various releases from over the years and not in a “set”.

11. Joe Isham

Joe Isham Stunt Coordinator

I can't be the only one annoyed that the artwork for TRoS doesn't match the scheme for the other 10 movies.

Jason_V and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  12. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Cinematographer

Nope. I saw all the unconfirmed artwork posted one day on The Digital Bits, and thought surely that can't be right.

Then the next day they posted all the confirmed artwork and while episode IX was different from the unconfirmed version, it STILL didn't match the other 8. Then I just sat confused scratching my head.

13. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I bought all of the others - I would have passed on the prequels if the films had initially been available separately - but I'll be skipping this one. I just know I'll never watch it again. And without the originals, I'm not interested in the box set - if I ever want to watch the special editions again, I can stream them.

14. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’ve decided not to buy the box set, which is probably a first for me, but at this point in time I can’t justify it. I’m still at the BD level for physical media, so the UHD discs in set would just be coasters for the foreseeable future. For the prequels, I like the transfers on the 2011 BDs better than the new masters present on Disney+. For the sequels, I will always go for the 3D versions which aren’t in this set. The new masters of the original trilogy viewed on Disney+ in HD looked slightly better than the BDs, but not enough for me to rebuy six other films for which I’ll never watch those particular discs of them. And the new bonus features don’t seem substantial compared to what I’ve already got.

If you would have asked me ten or even five years ago if I’d ever pass up on a new Star Wars box set, I never would have imagined that but here we are.

Osato likes this.
  15. Osato

Osato Producer

this is how I feel about the box set too.
    I can access them on Disney+.

I have the original dvds of the prequels and the ot too.

Im kind of sick about it mainly because the price tag of $250.

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

This seems to be a popular opinion.

I'll buy that mega set at some point. However, it has to come down $50 at least. Being a Best Buy Exclusive, however, I can't depend on that happening. A major Amazon price drop is always possible. Best Buy with a title like this? Don't know.

Osato likes this.
  17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

I also have to agree on that because some seem to go out of there way to say how much they hate the movie and tell people why they shouldn't buy it. And those who love it will buy the set anyway.

As far as myself sure there are some things here and there I didn't like or was not crazy about but I found more to like and still enjoyed even the movies I had a few issues with. I have enjoyed the Star Wars universe since I was a teen and have enjoyed it all the way through the latest film The Rise Of Skywalker. I have purchased titles on Laser Disc, DVD, Blu-ray and currently have two titles on 4K UHD Blu-ray and even one title on VHS. I will be buying the Skywalker Saga on 4K UHD Blu-ray even though I also have Disney + and would prefer to own the 4K set and have it on my shelf even though I could watch them on Disney + any time. I also look at if finances change I may not have internet and Disney + so I could always go to the shelf and watch it any time. As far as for myself and buying movies I do not really like or will not watch again I have been lucky as to not have a bunch of movies that end up never being watched again. A good part of that is not having great income so I have never had the kind of income to just buy movies just because. I can see the point of some feeling this set is to pricy and wanting to hold off at $250 which ends up being a little under $28 a title. I remember getting the 50th anniversary James Bond set for $189.99 but that was 25 movies at about $7.60 per title and on HD Blu-ray. But despite the price I see myself buying it because to me personally it is worth it to have on 4K UHD Blu-ray and I want it, LOL. The only thing that keeps me from buying it is if there are major issues with the transfers.

SW Collection small.
    Star Wars OLD. Star Wars_f.

joshEH, atcolomb and Osato like this.
  18. Osato

Osato Producer

they didn’t lower the price on the marvel box set?

my other thought is to just buy them over time individually.....

19. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Raises hand. Thankfully I don't buy movies for the cover art, but I can't fathom why the new versions of the films don't have the same cover scheme.

Osato likes this.
  20. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Not that it's any of my business how people choose to spend their money, but if you're at a point where you can't afford internet, buying movies should be the least of your worries.