TravisR

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
Same here, and although I have some issues with it, I still think it's better than any of the prequels.
Yeah, it's not perfect but I was happy with It overall and I think the climax and epilogue were excellent. As for comparing it to the prequels, I'd put Revenge Of The Sith ahead of it.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Reaction score
The prequels are practically unwatchable but I respect them more because they've got vision and ideas - terribly, awfully executed ideas. Rise of Skywalker is pre-chewed, focus-grouped garbage without an idea in its empty little head.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I'll go against the grain and say that I liked the movie and look forward to buying it.
You're not alone! I liked the movie quite a bit as I think it's the best acted movie out of all of them except Rogue One which is now my favorite Star Wars film.

Reactions: TravisR

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Reactions: Jake Lipson

WillG

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Just bought the 3D release from Amazon U.K.

Came to $21 with U.S. shipping which is an amazingly great deal.

I will wait for the Best Buy set to drop in price -- hopefully -- for Black Friday.
Hmmm, not sure how you got that. Looks like it’s going to be about $25 for me after FX conversion.

interestingly enough, though probably means nothing, Amazon UK has placeholders for 3D releases of the OT. I don’t really expect a release but 3D conversion do exist for the OT, correct?

WillG

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Reactions: Osato

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
No. There is another.
If OT is meant to mean "Original Trilogy," it seems to me that Lucas had commissioned a 3D convert of what used to be called simply STAR WARS, and I believe he had plans for theaters, but I do not think it got a release (?). Not sure about EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Lucasfilm completed the conversions for Episodes 1-3 and they’ve been shown at fan events. When Disney took ownership, they canceled the planned conversions for Episodes 4-6 (and the planned theatrical releases for 2 & 3), so as far as anyone knows, there’s no conversion work complete for the OT.

Reactions: TravisR

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
Lucasfilm completed the conversions for Episodes 1-3 and they’ve been shown at fan events. When Disney took ownership, they canceled the planned conversions for Episodes 4-6 (and the planned theatrical releases for 2 & 3), so as far as anyone knows, there’s no conversion work complete for the OT.
i recall reading that the new 4k ot scans were done for producing the 3D versions.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
So the box set extra is the letter from Mark Hamill???

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Then why buy it? This is a serious question.
For the same reason, I bought the prequels, which to this day, still remain in their shrinkwrap and will never see the light of day.

I am a collector.

There are some sets that need to be completed in one's library.

For the record, I didn't dislike RISE OF SKYWALKER. Thought it was okay. Hated THE LAST JEDI, though.

If OT is meant to mean "Original Trilogy," it seems to me that Lucas had commissioned a 3D convert of what used to be called simply STAR WARS, and I believe he had plans for theaters, but I do not think it got a release (?). Not sure about EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or RETURN OF THE JEDI.

Disney put the first nail in the 3D coffin.

There's no way they are going to release those conversions as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil S. Bulk

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Buying something I intend to keep shrink-wrapped for all time is not something I would do. There are too many movies that I actually want to buy and use for me to spend money on something I won't use. But it's your money, so by all means if you get value out of having a shrinkwrapped disc on your shelf, then by all means, enjoy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Reaction score
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Buying something I intend to keep shrink-wrapped for all time is not something I would do. There are too many movies that I actually want to buy and use for me to spend money on something I won't use. But it's your money, so by all means if you get value out of having a shrinkwrapped disc on your shelf, then by all means, enjoy.
This is not a common practice for me. I don't do it very often.

One major title I bought that I really dislike is 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's an essential film in any collection. I bought it on 4k intending not to open it, but I did force myself to watch half of it and was very impressed with the quality.

Star Wars films are a special breed. You kinda have to take the very bad with the good. I am sure there are many of us here that own the boxed sets and have particular titles that they will never watch again.

Getting back to the topic at hand...

EDITED:

I previously posted that I was going to pull the trigger on the Best Buy set due to its value in digital codes.

However, I privately talked to Crawdaddy to gauge his opinion and he reminded me that if I wanted to watch these films in 4k, there's Disney+

I paid for 3 years of that service, get a fourth free, and I never watch it any more thanks to MANDALORIAN being on hiatus.

So why not take advantage of what I paid for, watch all the films in 4k now and then buy the Best Buy set when it has an eventual price drop?

Last edited:
Reactions: Osato

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a question for Ron but maybe it’s just more of me talking to myself :)

I get the collector’s mentality as I am one myself.

Something weird happened to me last year. I looked out at my shelves and it seemed like the things I liked were outnumbered by movies and shows I didn’t care for or never thought I’d watch again. And, for perhaps the first time in my collecting life, I felt really unsatisfied by that. It felt like stuff I didn’t like was drowning out the stuff I did.

I wound up purging/selling/trading a bunch of stuff to bring some balance back to my collection. When I see it now, it feels like a better reflection of my tastes and interests. And that makes me feel good about it again.

Do you ever find yourself experiencing anything like that, where the stuff you feel obligated to collect takes some of the joy away from the stuff you actually want to collect?

Mark VH

Second Unit
Reaction score
I think for me at this point it's just a matter of looking at all the DVDs on my shelf that I've purchased and been really excited about buying and realizing that in all likelihood I'll never get around to watching them. Probably around 300-400 discs that I was thrilled to acquire at the time (many over a decade ago) that I've never gotten around to watching and likely never will. I probably won't sell them due to them not having any resale value at this point and also the accessibility factor of having them in the finicky age of streaming, but this is a big contributor to why I rarely buy discs any more.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topreplay