1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (4k UHD) (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 19, 2020.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Same here, and although I have some issues with it, I still think it's better than any of the prequels.

Chris Will and Osato like this.
  2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, it's not perfect but I was happy with It overall and I think the climax and epilogue were excellent. As for comparing it to the prequels, I'd put Revenge Of The Sith ahead of it.

Josh Steinberg and Tino like this.
  3. Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

The prequels are practically unwatchable but I respect them more because they've got vision and ideas - terribly, awfully executed ideas. Rise of Skywalker is pre-chewed, focus-grouped garbage without an idea in its empty little head.

4. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I think I am the only person who hasn't seen the movie but I'll get the blu-ray.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You're not alone! I liked the movie quite a bit as I think it's the best acted movie out of all of them except Rogue One which is now my favorite Star Wars film.

TravisR likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If you really feel that way then why buy it on disc?

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Do NOT watch the commercial for the Blu-ray release because it assumes the viewer has seen the movie before.

8. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Hmmm, not sure how you got that. Looks like it’s going to be about $25 for me after FX conversion.

interestingly enough, though probably means nothing, Amazon UK has placeholders for 3D releases of the OT. I don’t really expect a release but 3D conversion do exist for the OT, correct?

9. Message #29 of 89 Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Osato likes this.
  10. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Osato likes this.
  11. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

No. There is another.

B-ROLL and Mark VH like this.
  12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    If OT is meant to mean "Original Trilogy," it seems to me that Lucas had commissioned a 3D convert of what used to be called simply STAR WARS, and I believe he had plans for theaters, but I do not think it got a release (?). Not sure about EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or RETURN OF THE JEDI.

13. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Lucasfilm completed the conversions for Episodes 1-3 and they’ve been shown at fan events. When Disney took ownership, they canceled the planned conversions for Episodes 4-6 (and the planned theatrical releases for 2 & 3), so as far as anyone knows, there’s no conversion work complete for the OT.

TravisR likes this.
  14. Osato

Osato Producer

i recall reading that the new 4k ot scans were done for producing the 3D versions.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  15. Osato

Osato Producer

So the box set extra is the letter from Mark Hamill???

16. Message #36 of 89 Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    For the same reason, I bought the prequels, which to this day, still remain in their shrinkwrap and will never see the light of day.

I am a collector.

There are some sets that need to be completed in one's library.

For the record, I didn't dislike RISE OF SKYWALKER. Thought it was okay. Hated THE LAST JEDI, though.

Disney put the first nail in the 3D coffin.

There's no way they are going to release those conversions as far as I can see.

Neil S. Bulk likes this.
  17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Buying something I intend to keep shrink-wrapped for all time is not something I would do. There are too many movies that I actually want to buy and use for me to spend money on something I won't use. But it's your money, so by all means if you get value out of having a shrinkwrapped disc on your shelf, then by all means, enjoy.

18. Message #38 of 89 Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is not a common practice for me. I don't do it very often.

One major title I bought that I really dislike is 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's an essential film in any collection. I bought it on 4k intending not to open it, but I did force myself to watch half of it and was very impressed with the quality.

Star Wars films are a special breed. You kinda have to take the very bad with the good. I am sure there are many of us here that own the boxed sets and have particular titles that they will never watch again.

Getting back to the topic at hand...

EDITED:

I previously posted that I was going to pull the trigger on the Best Buy set due to its value in digital codes.

However, I privately talked to Crawdaddy to gauge his opinion and he reminded me that if I wanted to watch these films in 4k, there's Disney+

I paid for 3 years of that service, get a fourth free, and I never watch it any more thanks to MANDALORIAN being on hiatus.

So why not take advantage of what I paid for, watch all the films in 4k now and then buy the Best Buy set when it has an eventual price drop?

Osato likes this.
  19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I have a question for Ron but maybe it’s just more of me talking to myself :)

I get the collector’s mentality as I am one myself.

Something weird happened to me last year. I looked out at my shelves and it seemed like the things I liked were outnumbered by movies and shows I didn’t care for or never thought I’d watch again. And, for perhaps the first time in my collecting life, I felt really unsatisfied by that. It felt like stuff I didn’t like was drowning out the stuff I did.

I wound up purging/selling/trading a bunch of stuff to bring some balance back to my collection. When I see it now, it feels like a better reflection of my tastes and interests. And that makes me feel good about it again.

Do you ever find yourself experiencing anything like that, where the stuff you feel obligated to collect takes some of the joy away from the stuff you actually want to collect?

Darby67, Osato and Neil S. Bulk like this.
  20. Mark VH

Mark VH Second Unit

I think for me at this point it's just a matter of looking at all the DVDs on my shelf that I've purchased and been really excited about buying and realizing that in all likelihood I'll never get around to watching them. Probably around 300-400 discs that I was thrilled to acquire at the time (many over a decade ago) that I've never gotten around to watching and likely never will. I probably won't sell them due to them not having any resale value at this point and also the accessibility factor of having them in the finicky age of streaming, but this is a big contributor to why I rarely buy discs any more.

Darby67, Osato and Worth like this.