What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Raya and The Last Dragon (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Resellers on eBay have already put up pre-orders for the standard keepcase UHD version and steelbook because of course they have. But it still isn't available in any version yet from an official store.

I assume those people probably place pre-orders at stores to fulfill on release and then pocket the difference between the store price and their price. But if they don't know that they can pre-order the steelbook that they're reselling, that is a particularly risky bet in this case.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought there had been more discussion in this thread about pre-orders going up, etc. but the last post I see here is from May 3. Maybe that was another thread.

Anyway, I got my copy of the steelbook at Best Buy earlier this morning. Oddly enough, though, it has hubs for 3 discs even though the release is only a 2-disc set (1 4K disc and 1 regular 1080p Blu-ray disc.) So it looks like you're missing a disc, but you're actually not.

The steelbook itself is gorgeous and I'm very happy with the purchase, but that is very strange.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I thought there had been more discussion in this thread about pre-orders going up, etc. but the last post I see here is from May 3. Maybe that was another thread.

Anyway, I got my copy of the steelbook at Best Buy earlier this morning. Oddly enough, though, it has hubs for 3 discs even though the release is only a 2-disc set (1 4K disc and 1 regular 1080p Blu-ray disc.) So it looks like you're missing a disc, but you're actually not.

The steelbook itself is gorgeous and I'm very happy with the purchase, but that is very strange.
I'm working on my review, and can confirm that this is a 2-disc set (unlike Pixar UHD releases which are usually 3-disc sets).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, that's kinda weird, isn't it?

The only other time I recall a similar incident happening was with the steelbook of The Hateful Eight which was also a Best Buy exclusive back n the day. For that one, they had cut the digital copy code into the shape of a disc and placed it on the otherwise unnecessary third spindle.

That one actually worked out for me because Target had an exclusive bonus disc with their copies of The Hateful Eight. I found someone who had bought the Target edition and was selling the bonus disc individually on eBay for $5. So I bought it and then stuck that in the third spot in the steelbook.

In this situation with Raya, though, there's really nothing to use to fill the third spot. I don't need a DVD of the film, so buying that just to fill out the case would be stupid. If they were to release a CD soundtrack, I guess it could go in there. But as is often the case now, Disney only relased the score for Raya digitally with no physical counterpart.

I moved the Blu-ray disc to the left side, so that each disc has its own side of the case and the hub not in use is the upper one on the right side.

But it's still odd not to have the slot filled.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm working on my review, and can confirm that this is a 2-disc set (unlike Pixar UHD releases which are usually 3-disc sets).

Yeah, I thought as much. The packaging doesn't promote it as being a 3-disc set. New films from Walt Disney Animation Studios (as opposed to Pixar which get a dedicated extras disc) are typically on a single Blu-ray, accompanied by either the UHD or DVD depending on which you choose. It's really bizarre that they put a third hub in there for no reason.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The only other time I recall a similar incident happening was with the steelbook of The Hateful Eight which was also a Best Buy exclusive back n the day. For that one, they had cut the digital copy code into the shape of a disc and placed it on the otherwise unnecessary third spindle.

That one actually worked out for me because Target had an exclusive bonus disc with their copies of The Hateful Eight. I found someone who had bought the Target edition and was selling the bonus disc individually on eBay for $5. So I bought it and then stuck that in the third spot in the steelbook.

In this situation with Raya, though, there's really nothing to use to fill the third spot. I don't need a DVD of the film, so buying that just to fill out the case would be stupid. If they were to release a CD soundtrack, I guess it could go in there. But as is often the case now, Disney only relased the score for Raya digitally with no physical counterpart.

I moved the Blu-ray disc to the left side, so that each disc has its own side of the case and the hub not in use is the upper one on the right side.

But it's still odd not to have the slot filled.
You could always burn the soundtrack to a CD......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks