What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Raya and The Last Dragon (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
‘DISNEY PRINCESS MAY BECOME ANOTHER WORD
FOR SUPERHERO’ – Beatrice Loayza, The New York Times

raya.jpg

Experience Never-Before-Seen Bonus Footage and Deleted Scenes When
‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ Releases on Digital April 2
and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD May 18

Includes Disney’s New Animated Short, ‘Us Again’

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ epic adventure “Raya and the Last Dragon” arrives on all major digital platforms beginning April 2, and on 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD beginning May 18. Consumers can enjoy never-before-seen bonus footage and deleted scenes in stunning Ultra HD quality and Dolby Audio.

Film Synopsis
Long ago, in the fantasy world of Kumandra, humans and dragons lived together in harmony. But when sinister monsters known as the Druun threatened the land, the dragons sacrificed themselves to save humanity. Now, 500 years later, those same monsters have returned and it’s up to a lone warrior, Raya, to track down the last dragon in order to finally stop the Druun for good. However, along her journey, she’ll learn that it’ll take more than dragon magic to save the world—it’s going to take trust as well. From directors Don Hall and Carlos López Estrada, co-directors Paul Briggs and John Ripa, producers Osnat Shurer and Peter Del Vecho, the film features the voices of Kelly Marie Tran as Raya and Awkwafina as Sisu.

Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Raya and the Last Dragon” Bonus Features*
An Introduction to “Us Again” – Director Zach Parrish takes you behind the scenes of the Walt Disney Animation Studios short.
“Us Again” – An elderly man and his young-at-heart wife rekindle their passion for life on one magical night.
Taste of Raya – Dine along with Kelly Marie Tran and the film’s creative team--virtually--over a Southeast Asian menu inspired by the countries that influenced the film as they discuss their experiences creating the world of Kumandra.
Raya: Bringing it Home – When the global pandemic of 2020 hit, production of “Raya and the Last Dragon” moved to the houses of over 450 people. We open a window into their lives and learn how they overcame massive obstacles to make an animated feature from home.
Martial Artists – Get a kick out of learning about the martial art forms and weapons used in the film as co-screenwriter Qui Nguyen and visual anthropologist Dr. S. Steve Arounsack share the inspiration behind the film’s action-packed elements.
We are Kumandra – Meet members of the Southeast Asia Story Trust and discover the cultural influences that inspired the film...and how important this representation in a Disney animated film is to the people of the region.
Outtakes – Step into the homes and behind the mics of the cast of “Raya and the Last Dragon” as they experience voice-over sessions in closets and shaky internet connections, which made recording this film unlike any other.
Fun Facts & Easter Eggs – Take a look at some of the hidden surprises and behind-the-scenes secrets of “Raya and the Last Dragon.”
The Story Behind the Storyboard with John Ripa – Co-Director John Ripa invites you to get an inside look at his thought process as he pitches a storyboard sequence from the film and talks about his amazing career with Disney Animation.
Deleted Scenes:
Introduction – Head of Story Fawn Veerasunthorn introduces deleted scenes from “Raya and the Last Dragon.”
The Bridge – Raya confronts an early version of the Druun in this deleted storyboard sequence.
Escaping Namaari – See an early version sequence of an introduction to Namaari as an adult.
Dragon Blade – Discover an early version of Raya’s sword, when it used to have magical powers.
Meet Boun – Meet an early version of Boun before he was a chef and shrimp boat captain.
The Heart of the Dragon – Co-Director John Ripa introduces a deleted scene which brought the theme of hope into the film.

*bonus features vary by product and retailer

Voice Cast:
Kelly Marie Tran as the voice of Raya
Awkwafina as the voice of Sisu
Izaac Wang as the voice of Boun
Gemma Chan as the voice of Namaari
Daniel Dae Kim as the voice of Benja
Benedict Wong as the voice of Tong
Jona Xiao as the voice of Young Namaari
Sandra Oh as the voice of Virana
Thalia Tran as the voice of Little Noi
Lucille Soong as the voice of Dang Hu
Alan Tudyk as the voice of Tuk Tuk
Directors:
Don Hall
Carlos López Estrada
Co-Directors:
Paul Briggs
John Ripa
Producers:
Osnat Shurer, p.g.a.
Peter Del Vecho, p.g.a.
Executive Producers:
Jennifer Lee
Jared Bush
Screenplay by:
Qui Nguyen
Adele Lim
Story by:
Paul Briggs
Don Hall
Adele Lim
Carlos López Estrada
Kiel Murray
Qui Nguyen
John Ripa
Dean Wellins
Original Score by:
James Newton Howard

Street Date:
Digital: April 2
Physical: May 18
Product SKUs:
Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical: 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K UHD™ + Blu-ray™ Feature + Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™ Feature + DVD + Digital Code) & DVD
Feature Run Time:
107 minutes
Rating:
U.S. Rated PG
Bonus material not rated
Aspect Ratio:
Digital: 2.39
Physical: 2.39:1
U.S. Audio:
4K Ultra HD™: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, English, Japanese, French and Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital
Blu-ray™: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French & Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0
Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital
English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)
U.S. Subtitles:
4K Ultra HD™: English SDH, Spanish, French
Blu-ray™: English SDH, Spanish, French
DVD: English SDH, Spanish, French
Digital: English SDH, Spanish, French (some platforms)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not yet listed for sale on Amazon. Can't wait!

Do you expect it to be for sale on Amazon? They've had a pissing contest with Disney going on over new releases since about 2017. I categorically absolutely would not trust Amazon with a Disney Blu-ray pre-order under any circumstances.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Do you expect it to be for sale on Amazon? They've had a pissing contest with Disney going on over new releases since about 2017. I categorically absolutely would not trust Amazon with a Disney Blu-ray pre-order under any circumstances.
This is a Paramount release, not Disney.
Never mind - my mind blipped and thought I was on another thread...

Purchasing on Amazon directly is unlikely, although I'm sure third party sellers will have it available at a premium price, as usual. You'd be better off pre-ordering from Best Buy, Target, Deep Discount, Walmart, etc.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The 4K cover is different than the one being used for the Blu-ray disc pictured in the first post. This is unusual for Disney. Typically they use the same artwork across formats. I like this one better.

Raya.jpg

I like the 4K cover art better.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You'd be better off pre-ordering from Best Buy, Target, Deep Discount, Walmart, etc.

I agree with your assessment. I wasn't asking for myself but in response to the comment above mine.

If Best Buy has a steelbook, that's where I'm going. Otherwise, I'll pick up the regular edition from any store that isn't Amazon.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Glad to see it coming so soon (I guess it had to come to blu-ray before being available to regular Disney+ subscribers).

This was a delightful movie, and I'll be pleased to add the disc to our collection.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Voice Cast:
Kelly Marie Tran as the voice of Raya
Awkwafina as the voice of Sisu
Izaac Wang as the voice of Boun
Gemma Chan as the voice of Namaari
Daniel Dae Kim as the voice of Benja
Benedict Wong as the voice of Tong
Jona Xiao as the voice of Young Namaari
Sandra Oh as the voice of Virana
Thalia Tran as the voice of Little Noi
Lucille Soong as the voice of Dang Hu
Alan Tudyk as the voice of Tuk Tuk

One of these folks is not like the others. ;)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
One of these folks is not like the others. ;)

Alan Tudyk is a Disney Animation good luck charm, like John Ratzenberger is for Pixar. Tudyk has appeared in every single Walt Disney Animation Studios film since Wreck-It Ralph in 2012. So of course they were going to find a place for him here. He plays an armadillo and doesn't speak in a traditional sense, so it's not necessary for that character to be cast with a specific ethnicity as was the case for the other characters.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Alan Tudyk is a Disney Animation good luck charm, like John Ratzenberger is for Pixar. Tudyk has appeared in every single Walt Disney Animation Studios film since Wreck-It Ralph in 2012. So of course they were going to find a place for him here. He plays an armadillo and doesn't speak in a traditional sense, so it's not necessary for that character to be cast with a specific ethnicity as was the case for the other characters.

I think you're taking my comment much too seriously. I saw this list of names, all of which had surnames of Asian origin. Except for one, which stood out like a road flare. I was amused.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The press release for Soul included the following statement:

The digital and physical releases of “Soul” will include exclusive, never-before-seen deleted scenes and audio commentary by Pete Docter, Kemp Powers and Dana Murray. Additionally, fans can find the film packaged as a collectible SteelBook® at Best Buy and packaged with a limited-edition gallery book at Target.

I bring this up in the Raya thread because the press release doesn't specify anything about similar retailer exclusives for Raya. I'm curious if the lack of a statement to that effect means they are not doing exclusives on this title.

I hope they are because I really enjoy the film and would like to have a steelbook to go with the other Disney steelbooks in my collection.

If I remember correctly, the last Disney Animation movie which did not get a steelbook on its original Blu-ray release was Zootopia in 2016. I know Moana did since I have that. Ralph Breaks the Internet did; I remember seeing it at the store but got the standard keepcase version of that one so it would match my copy of the original. And Frozen II got one last year which I have. So if Raya lacks one, it would be the first title in five years not to get one. (I know Zootopia had one for its more recent 4K upgrade release, but I mean new films arriving on home media for the first time, not re-releases.)

Is there a confirmed date when pre-orders for the physical editions will go live? I guess we'll have a definitive answer on pre-order date because then you'll either see pre-orders for store exclusives or not.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was announced a month ago, and yet, none of the retailers have it listed for sale. I wouldn’t expect Amazon, but Target, BestBuy and the others have nothing yet. Does that seem strange to anyone else?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does that seem strange to anyone else?

Yes. It is strange. I look for pre-orders on this almost daily. But I don't think it is indicative of a delay for the disc.

That being said, you can currently buy it from digital services like iTunes and Vudu for $30. My best guess is that Disney is delaying physical pre-orders in order to try to sell a few more digital copies first. But that doesn't really make sense because people who really want the physical copy are going to go with that no matter what.

There also has not been any confirmation of whether there will be steelbook (Best Buy) or gallery book (Target) editions. The press release for Soul specifically indicated these were coming, but there is no such statement here. Going back to Onward which was the last animated theatrical release prior to the pandemic, the disc including the store exclusive variants was available to pre-order on the day of the film's theatrical release, so we already knew those store exclusives were coming.

Of course, the live-action Mulan and the 4K release of its vastly superior animated counterpart weren't made available for pre-order until a few days before the release date. Maybe Disney is doing that again.

*shrug*

Whenever preorders go up, I'll get it. If they don't, I'll get it in store on May 18. I would mainly like to know in advance whether there will be a steelbook or if the regular edition is it. The gallery book at Target is typically adapted from the full art of book published separately, and since I bought that on its own any hypothetical Target edition wouldn't interest me.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since the press release didn't mention one, I was wondering if there would be a steelbook or not. Thank you for posting that, @Viking61. Where did you see it? I can't find a listing for it on Best Buy's website yet.

I'm a little surprised that Sisu on the back is more of a portrait rather than a scene which could also have included some of the supporting cast members. But I still think it looks gorgeous and is a big upgrade from the Blu-ray+DVD artwork in which Sisu is clearly photoshopped in. I intend to get the steelbook. Hopefully pre-orders open at some point soon so that I can reserve one. I often have problems tracking down steelbooks if I haven't ordered in advance.

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
How is it the release of this film is less than 3 weeks away and it still isn't listed anywhere for sale? I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

Actually, Disney has done this recently. Remember last fall when Mulan wasn't posted for pre-order until the weekend before its release?

I'm looking for pre-orders daily too.

If you want the standard Blu-ray or 4K editions, pre-orders are nice but aren't necessarily a huge deal because those versions should be fairly easy to obtain on street date.

Since I want the steelbook, it is a little more concerning because those are always in limited supply. I feel like I might not actually get that one if it is unavailable to be reserved prior to street date.

jayembee

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jerry
Since I want the steelbook, it is a little more concerning because those are always in limited supply. I feel like I might not actually get that one if it is unavailable to be reserved prior to street date.

Yeah, it's been surprising how quickly some of BB's exclusive SteelBooks (for anything, not just Disney titles) sell out. I've usually been happy to walk into my local store on release day and pick it up in person. In some cases, the edition is sold out before release day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Strubdog