1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

BVHE Press Release: Guardians of the Galaxy (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Message #1 of 21 Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

From Marvel, the Studio That Brought You “Iron Man,” “Thor,”From Marvel, the Studio That Brought You “Iron Man,” “Thor,”

“Captain America” and “Marvel’s The Avengers,” 

Comes the Year’s Must-Own Blockbuster!

GuardiansOfTheGalaxy3DComboPack_small.
    GuardiansOfTheGalaxyBluray_small.

MARVEL’S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Get it First on Digital HD plus Disney Movies Anywhere November 18th, 

and on Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray and On-Demand December 9th

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy film has earned over $645 million worldwide and recently passed the $300 million mark at both the domestic and international box offices. Guardians of the Galaxy opened domestically August 1 with $94.3 million to become the biggest August debut of all time and ultimately the biggest August release ever; it’s also the highest grossing film of the year and the first to surpass $300 million in 2014 domestically. After becoming the 10th straight Marvel Studios film to open at #1, Guardians of the Galaxy occupied the top spot domestically for four of its first six weekends in release.

Synopsis:  From Marvel, the studio that launched the epic franchises of “Iron Man,” “Thor,” “Captain America” and “Marvel’s The Avengers,” comes an unlikely new team—the “Guardians of the Galaxy.”  The Marvel Cinematic Universe expands into the cosmos when brash space adventurer Peter Quill steals a coveted orb and becomes the object of a relentless bounty hunt. To evade his enemies, Quill forges an uneasy truce with Rocket, a gun-toting raccoon; Groot, a tree-like humanoid; the deadly assassin Gamora; and the revenge-driven Drax. But when Quill discovers the true power of the orb, he must rally his ragtag band of misfits for a desperate battle that will decide the fate of the galaxy. Featuring amazing new characters and exclusive bonus features, this must-own blockbuster will have you hooked on a feeling… of pure adrenaline!

Cast:  Chris Pratt (“The Lego Movie,” TV’s “Parks and Recreation”) as Peter Quill, Zoe Saldana (“Avatar,” “Star Trek”) as Gamora, Dave Bautista (“Riddick,” “The Man with the Iron Fists”) as Drax, Vin Diesel (“Fast and the Furious” series, “Riddick”) as Groot, Bradley Cooper (“American Hustle,” “Silver Linings Playbook”) as Rocket, Lee Pace (“The Hobbit” series, “Lincoln”) as Ronan, Michael Rooker (TV’s “The Walking Dead”) as Yondu Udonta, Karen Gillan (“Oculus,” TV’s “Doctor Who”) as Nebula, Djimon Hounsou (“How to Train Your Dragon 2,” “Gladiator”) as Korath, John C. Reilly (“Wreck-It Ralph,” “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby”) as Corpsman Dey, Glenn Close (TV’s “Damages,” “Tarzan”) as Nova Prime and Benicio Del Toro (“Traffic,” “The Usual Suspects”) as The Collector.

Director:  James Gunn (“Movie 43,” “Super”)

Screenplay:  James Gunn (“Dawn of the Dead,” “Scooby Doo”) and Nicole Perlman (“Thor”)

Producer:  Kevin Feige, p.g.a. (Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” Marvel’s “Thor: The Dark World”)

Executive Producers: Nik Korda (“Robin Hood,” “The Golden Compass”)

Stan Lee (“X-Men: Days of Future Past,” Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”)

Victoria Alonso (Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Thor: The Dark World”) 

Jeremy Latcham (“Marvel’s The Avengers, ”Marvel’s “Iron Man 2”)

Alan Fine (Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” Marvel’s “Thor: The Dark World”)

Louis D’Esposito (Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” Marvel’s “Thor: The Dark World”)

Release Date:  11/18 for Digital 3D and Digital HD 

12/9 Digital SD, 3D Blu-ray Combo pack (3D Blu-ray + Single Disc Blu-ray + Digital Copy), Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand 

Bonus Features:

(Digital HD*, Disney Movies Anywhere, 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray)

·  Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scenes

·  Making-of Featurettes

·  Exclusive Look at “Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron”

·  Gag Reel

·  Audio Commentary

(DVD)

·  Exclusive Look at “Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron”

·  Never-Before-Seen Deleted Scene

* Digital bonus offerings will vary per retailer

Ratings: PG-13; PG for CE; G for CF

Feature Run Time: 121 minutes

Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray & DVD: 2:40:1

Audio:  Blu-ray 3D & Blu-ray 2D = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, French-Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital, Latin Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital

DVD = English/Latin Spanish/French Canadian 5.1 Dolby Digital, English DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital

Languages:  English, French & Spanish

Subtitles: English, French & Spanish

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Preordered. :) The 3D set for $24.99 is just about the right price point. I'd expect a little price drop before release.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    This might be my first 3D disc purchase...if the 1 disc stays that close.

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I was surprised to see it that low. Ordered!

Jason_V likes this.
  5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Nice to see that Disney and Amazon seem to have worked out the whole preorder thing. Doesn't look like they are doing a "One Shot" for this release. I was disappointed that they didn't do one for The Winter Soldier and was hoping that there'd be one for Guardians. The studio has said that they will do them if they have a short story ready to tell and if they have the resources available to make it. I'm not surprised that with all the movie and television projects in the works they may not have the ability to produce "One Shots" currently, but I still wish there they were doing another for this release. Either way, the movie was great, so I can't wait for the Blu-ray!

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    If it follows the pattern of other recent Marvel releases ("Thor: The Dark World" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier") the price should drop to about $20 on its release date. Captain America 2 in 3D was going for $20 at Amazon and Target on the day of release. I'm happy to pay $25 for this -- but I think it'll be even lower when all is said and done.

Jason_V likes this.
  7. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Same here...using the HTF link of course!!

Jason_V likes this.
  8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    So is the 3D any good in this one, is it just depth again or do they use the format to it's fullest. ?

9. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Like all Marvel movies (with the exception of the post-credits scene in the first "Thor" movie), this is a converted production.

When I saw it in IMAX 3D (which also featured an expanding aspect ratio, the screen opened on the top and bottom to go from 2.35:1 to about 1.90:1), I came away thinking it was the best Marvel conversion, with only "The Avengers" close. It's mostly depth, but there's a little more pop out and close to screen action than there is in the rest of their movies. The movie's director, James Gunn, personally supervised the 3D conversion and approved the conversion of each shot, or so he's said in interviews. While I don't think it's the best 3D experience I've ever had, it's one of the better post-conversion jobs I've seen. I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but just having read a lot of your posts on which 3D movies you did and didn't like, I think you might be disappointed by the effort - like I think you'd probably agree that it's the best looking Marvel conversion, but also think that it still wasn't good enough. I don't think there's any mistaking it for a natively shot film. Then again, "X-Men: Days Of Future Past" and "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" were natively shot, and barely appear in 3D. The post-converted "Guardians" seemed more 3D to me than those natively-shot films, go figure.

10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I just like to find out a few things before making my decision on which version to buy, i bought the 2D edition of The Avengers, same goes for The Amazing Spider-Man which funny enough was native 3D but all the reviews said it was not that great in 3D.

I was given The Amazing Spider-Man 2 by my sister for my birthday last week and she got me the 3D edition so i may give that a spin in 3D but i'd have probably not bought that or the first one at all, she got me that for my birthday and i ended up having to buy the mastered in 4K edition of the first one ( in 2D ) so i can watch the second one, i am a fan of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films so didn't have any intention of watching these new ones but i guess i will now.

You are right though, i am more fussy on what 3D films i buy, if reviews and people at this forum tell me the film is mostly depth then i usually, but not always, just buy the 2D edition of the film, there are exceptions, i bought Prometheus, it's mostly depth but i am glad i watched it in 3D as i felt the 3D added to the movie and i enjoyed it, that one was native 3D.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I love Prometheus, and I think it's great in 3D. Definitely of the more subtle variety, but it works.. and the scene in the map room is really cool.

I think "Amazing Spider-Man 2" is probably the best conversion of this summer's big hits, the movie has a lot of obvious moments with Spidey's webslinging to do 3D. I think it actually had better 3D than a lot of Amazing 1's 3D. "Guardians" was probably almost as good. (I saw Spidey-2 more recently on Blu-ray 3D so it's hard for me to remember exactly which was which.) In terms of actual movie, not 3D quality, Guardians is better than Amazing Spider-Man 2 in my opinion. (BTW, the 2D disc included with the 3D version of "Amazing Spider-Man 2" is a labeled as a "mastered in 4K" disc. How you can master a film in 4K that was completed in 2K is beyond me, but what do I know?)

At least here in the states, on the first day of release, the 2D and 3D versions of Thor 2 and Captain America 2 were about the same price, if that's the case by you and it's even money, I'd say give the 3D "Guardians" a shot. If there's a big cost difference then maybe not so much. I'm definitely picking up the 3D version, but then again, I'm the guy who buys the 3D version even when I'm the first to admit it's not any good... so I'm maybe not the most objective person here on this.

12. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Happy (belated) Birthday!

FoxyMulder likes this.
  13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    IMDB says Amazing Spider-Man 2 had a 4K digital intermediate, same for the first movie, i don't know the in and outs of how it was completed but i know IMAX has upscaled films before, i can imagine it's possible to upscale 2K films and make 4K digital intermediates although the first film was shot on 5K RED cameras and second was 35mm. ( i think )

I assume if they upscaled anything it's because the effects work was finished at 2K, if that's the case then they would downscale 4K and 5K shot footage then upscale again, sounds a bit fiddly to me, better to just do the CGI at 4K.

Thanks. :)

14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The May or June issue of American Cinematographer covered ASM2, which is where I got my info from -- and you're exactly right, the effects work was done at 2K. According to American Cinematographer, they scanned the 35mm film at 4K, but did all of the image processing and effects at 2K, which is how the movie was finished. Apparently the render time on special effects at 2K is significantly faster than at 4K, at least when they started on the project. The movie looks good, I think it's actually a better looking movie than Amazing Spider-Man 1. But I think it's a little disingenious of them to call it "4K". I don't care that the movie itself wasn't finished in 4K and think it looks good, but I think it's wrong to call it 4K. But I suspect there's a lot of that going on right now.

FoxyMulder likes this.
  15. Ruly2

Ruly2 Supporting Actor

Josh
    Guardians of the Galaxy Trade ad.

Jason_V likes this.
  16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am very late to the party in finally sitting down to watch this Blu-ray.

Let me explain...

Disney/Marvel had no intention of sending out early 3D screeners to
    the press. Nobody got a screener. In essence, the studio felt that the
    film would succeed well on the format without having to spend money
    on supplying the press with review copies.

For that reason, I had no intention to review this Blu-ray and certainly not
    in a rush to watch it.

However, this morning I finally decided to give the disc a spin.

While this is not a full-fledged review, I did want to offer an opinion...

What a fantastically fun film. Right up there with Live, Die Repeat,
    which I felt was the best action film of 2014.

I loved the characters. I loved the humor. Best of all, I was toe-tappin'
    to the most awesome music mix I have heard in a film recently. They
    really included some of the best music from the 70's era. That's the stuff
    I love listening to.

The 3D was also quite good. Nice levels of depth. At least two very
    prominent forward projections satisfied me enough to include this title
    very high in my Top 30 Must Own Titles list. Just have to figure out exactly
    where to place it.

This Blu-ray has enormous repeat viewing value. I hope everyone was
    able to pick it up for $20. It's still at that price on Amazon, and certainly,
    the best $20 3D owners can currently spend.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    My favorite film of 2014 and I've viewed it now five times including my two theatrical showings.

18. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Also one of my favorites. One of the better 2.5D conversions.

Still, a missed opportunity though. If only they had gone all the way with real 3D.

We are Groot. :)

19. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I didn't amend my review of the 2D version with a 3D review since I had to buy the 3D copy for myself as a Christmas present, but I did add a comment post in the review thread, and found the film even more wonderfully enjoyable in 3D.

I guess some of these companies don't care whether the 3D market grows or not when they don't send out 3D screeners, but my review would have been even more enthusiastic if I had seen the 3D version when I wrote that review.

Todd Erwin likes this.
  20. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Finally watched this last night. My wife actually picked it out from my list of over 20 3D titles that we have not watched.

We enjoyed it. I forgot that it was converted to 3D as I thought the 3D was very well done. I also forgot that the AR shifts from 2.4 to 1.78. I had set the projector for 2.4 to fill the side walls - 138 by 58 inches. When it changed to 1.78, the image was now 138 by 78 which overlapped on to the speakers at the bottom and on to the ceiling (four inches on each). I was thinking of changing the projector to 1.78 so that AR would not overlap but, in almost all those scenes there was nothing of importance that was on the ceiling or on the speakers.