Buzzing when using my 5.1 inputs. Help puh-leez!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so here's the deal.

i'm running my sony dvd player's 5.1 outputs to the multi-ch input on my older onkyo receiver. the video signal from the dvd is going to my video-3 input (which ties to the multi-ch button).

whenever the video signal is plugged in, i get a buzzing noise in both channels on all inputs. as soon as i unplug the video feed the buzzing goes away.

i know it's not the cable as i've tried three other cables.

so, i'm not sure what to do. any suggestions? i suspect it must be my dvd player, but i don't have another to test. also, since my receiver is older i have no option but to use the multi-ch input if i want to watch my dvd's in dd.

tia

2. Shawn Fogg

Shawn Fogg Stunt Coordinator

Ted,

Try unplugging the video OUT cable from your Onkyo and see if you can then plug the video cable from your DVD into the Onkyo without getting any buzzing.

You may have a ground loop between your TV/cable system and the DVD player. That is if your Onkyo keeps video and audio grounds seperate.

Shawn

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

good idea shawn! thanks. that'll help eliminate another problem.
    for now, i'm just unplugging the video-in from my dvd when not specifically watching a dvd movie
    i can't believe how mickey-mouse that fix is, but it works. [​IMG]

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey shawn...

i unplugged the video mon out, but the buzzing still occurs. i'm pretty sure it's something related to the video signal from my dvd player.

any other ideas? anyone? anyone? bueller?

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Leave everything hooked up like normal.

Then get a cheater plug (3 prong to 2 prong), and try using it on each device, one at a time. This will let you know if a ground loop is your problem.

Keep in mind, though, that lifting the ground is a potentially unsafe situation, so you should only do this to figure out if there is a ground loop. If there is, then you can go about ways to solve it.

Hope that helps; let us know if you figure it out!!

6. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

I had a simiular problem, took me forever to find out why in the hell it was buzzing. On my particular system it turns out that having VCR audio going to my receiver was the problem. So I'd look for any othe audio inputs going to your reciever and unpluging them.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor