Buzzing in amplifiers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Mango, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Kirk Mango

Kirk Mango Stunt Coordinator

During a recent power up of my system I heard a buzzing coming from my B&K Ref 7250 power amp. After about 15-20 seconds the buzzing gradually diminished to the normal buzzing heard only when you stick your ear right up against any amplifier. I tested the voltage at the outlets in my house due to the extreme heat wave we were having in the chicagoland area and found the voltage between 116 and 117 volts AC. I have owned my B&K for 2 years and have not ever heard this in the past. I called B&K on this and they said that the 7250 requires alot of power at start up and if the power supplies don't get what they need they can buzz until power is ample. I also have a B&K Ref 2220 for my mains and have never heard any buzzing from this, voltage low or not, even during the low voltage of the recent event I am describing. Again they said it was because of the power requirments of the 7250? Anyone hear heard of this before? Is this something that I should have checked out or is this normal behavior at lower voltages? System seems to work as always. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Has there been a repeat episode? If not, I would go with B&K's knowledge on this and not worry. Even though you did a voltage check, you can't know exactly what was happening on the line at the time of the incident. If it continues to occur under differing electrical demand conditions, then I would take further action.

3. Kirk Mango

Paul,

No repeat appisode as yet. Have watched several movies since. Will watch for this, thats for sure.

Kirk

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Kirk,

I've heard of this type of thing many times with power amps. In some cases it didn't ever quite abate, and folks went to power filters, regenerators, balanced power, etc., to finally have the hum (from the amp itself) diminish or go away completely.

I think the Secrets site has mention of such in one or two of their power conditioner reviews.

5. Kirk Mango

Mike,

Thanks for the response. Have not heard it again, as yet that is. Hopefully, it was just a low voltage problem like B&K said.

Kirk