Buzz on Surround Sound Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stephen_Mc, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Stephen_Mc

Stephen_Mc Auditioning

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so hope I'm asking the right folks!.. thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I've had my home theater system for about 6 years now and recently was forced to replace my DVD player with a newer model that will play DVD-R medium (As my old one didn't)

My surround sound Rx is a Philips FR968.. a little old I know but it works great and does the job (at least it did!).

I used to have a philips DVD player as I got them as a set. and they worked perfectly.

The Question:

When I connected the new DVD player, I'm getting a 'Buzzz" through the surround sound speakers including the Sub Woofer.

When I disconnect the Digital output coax from the DVD to the Surround it obviously disappears!.

I have tried two different DVD players, first I tried a Toshiba, and thought that it was a problem with the DVD player, and returned it and got a better quality Soni DVP-NS41P, but the same thing happens.

When I connect my OLD Philips DVD the problem goes away.

Can anyone give me advise?. do I have some sort of matching problem between the modern DVD players and my older Phillips surround sound Rx?

Thanks for your help!

Steve.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Steve:

Sounds like a grouploop problem to me. This is usally caused by a difference in ground with your system and your cable TV input. Hook up the new DVD player and then unhook you cable feed into your receiver and see if the buzzing goes away. If it does you know it is the cable line that is the problem. If it stays something else is going on with your ground. I had the same issue with my ReplayTV causing a problem with humming that I didn't have before. I guess the newer equipment causes some issues with older equipment and the problem with differences in ground between your system and your cable provider.

I would 1st see if removing your cable line from you set up removes the problem. If it does then there are other solutions that you can try to fix that issue.

Parker

3. Stephen_Mc

Stephen_Mc Auditioning

Thanks Parker,

Let me try that in the next few days.. ( I may have to pull my entertainment system out from the wall)

When I get some results is it OK if I email you for advise?

Thanks again for your help!,

Steve.

4. Stephen_Mc

Stephen_Mc Auditioning

Hi,

I followed your advise this weekend.

On my reciever I only have 3 inputs:

- The coaxial input for digital audio from my DVD player
    - A L & R analogue input from my TV set ( cable box to TV to Rx)
    - A phono input from my inhouse audio system

A disconected everything and found that it is only the digital coaxial from my DVD that is causing the problem.

So have you any ideas what I can do now?

Thanks,

Steve.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

If your DVD player and receiver have optical jacks, you may be able to use a fiber optic cable, which will cut the ground loop.

6. Stephen_Mc

Stephen_Mc Auditioning

I checked last night and my DVD player does not have an optical jack, but my Rx does.

So before I return the DVD and get one with an optical jack, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

7. Stephen_Mc

Stephen_Mc Auditioning

Got a DVD player with an optical output at the weekend, and it fixed the problem!!!

Thanks for your help!!

Steve