What's new

Buzz in TV connection to my SR6200 (1 Viewer)

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everybody,

well you know I bought an SR6200 recently. It works pretty well, although it suffers from hissing in the anaog inputs at very high volume (+5db to +15 max) and had a problem with the COAX digital that turned out to be a problem of the cable itself. It also has the 0.3 secs dropout at the beginning of the first track of a CD or DVD through digital connection. Well, despite all that, I'm still happy with it (it sounds very much the way I like).

However my question is that, when I connect my TV (a big 32" widescreen Panasonic) to the SR6200 via 2 stereo RCA's, I hear a noticeable buzz that starts to be present at 0db and that increases all the way to +15db's. At max (+15 db's) is really noticeable (and disappointing).
Let me say that this is not cable TV, it's just plain TV connected to the receiver. The buzz disappears when I turn off the TV or when I unplug the RCA's from the receiver...
Does anybody have any adea abaout what is going on an why, and even better, how to solve it?

Thanks you all

Ferran.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Ferran,

Is the audio output from the TV fixed, or variable? By that I mean does the output volume from the 6200 go up if you turn the TV volume up (but leave the Marantz at, say, +0db). If so, the TV's audio output is variable, and chances are that if you turn it up a bit you'll get a stronger signal into your receiver, which will need less amplification. If it's fixed (ie: TV volume has no effect) not sure what the problem is.

Slightly off-topic, do you listen to other sources at +15db? Don't know your speakers or room size, but that sounds like it would be extremely loud, and maybe you need a little more juice so you're not pushing the amps so hard.

Good Luck.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Doug_L,
thanks for the reply. And the answer is NO to both questions:
the audio output from my TV is fixed in the sense that it doesen't change by turning up or down the TV volume...
And NO, I never listen anything at +15db because that would hurt my ears! I use to listen at -30db to -15db, depending n the material. But you know, I do the tests at that volume to see if there's anything going wrong there.
So what can it be then? Is a problem with the receiver? With the TV? With both of them? I'd like to know if it is related to the receiver because then I could complain at the shop where I purchased it...

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like either noise from the TV (the inside of a TV is not a nice place for audio signals) or a grounding or interference problem.

Check your cables carefully. Make sure TV and amp are plugged into the same mains spur.

1) Try the TV in a different input.
2) Try another source in the TV input.

If 1) gives the problem and 2) doesn't, it's the TV (or the combination of the TV and amp). If 1) and 2) give the problem, it's the amp.

Best of luck complaining: "if I turn it up full, which I never ever do, there's a buzz"...

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
If you never listen at +15db's, how do you even know there's a buzz?

Are you muting the TV before turning the receiver all the way up? If so, that's probably your buzz right there: the TV's muting procedure/circuits.

If not, what's "playing" when you're doing this test at +15db's?

I agree with Mark: Good luck complaining to a store or manufacturer about this one.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Ok folks, I reply to you all.
Yes, I mute the TV and hear the buzz at +15db's... otherwise I would hear the TV at +15 and my home walls would break :)
And concerning complains... that's not an issue because I purchased my unit recently and and can still bring it back to the shop and get my money without a single explanation... it's their no-question-return policy. That's why i'd like to know if my problem has to do with the receiver itself or with the TV or just with the way they interact. I'm certainly not interested in returning the receiver if I can avoid it...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you turn the TV off and leave it on that input, is the sound still there? How about if you disconnect the cable from that input? If you still have the hiss, then it is either a ground loop issue (when connected), a cable issue again or poor power to the receiver itself (since you also had some noise on other analog inputs). Anything that is on the same circuit as the receiver could cause noise.

Since you don't listen at those levels, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Nearly all receivers and amps will do this to some extent.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I noticed the TV connection has the highest level of background noise when I crank the volume without any program material playing. I don't notice it during normal use though. SR6200.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recently disconnected my TV from the receiver because I never listen to TV via the receiver, and I get basically no noise when that input is selected, at max vol.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hey John,
let me answer your question: if I turn off the TV and leave it on that input, the buzz is still there depending on what I do exactly. I can turn power down completely on the TV and then buzz is gone. I can also turn down the TV with its remote, then a led remains lighting and there appears the buzz, although at a noticeable lower level. And if I dosconnect the cable from the TV input, the buzz is gone again... does that help?
Thanks in advance...

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hi again,
well, looks like that this one is not gonna be easy... Yesterday night I tried to do all the tests you guys are telling me to do, but couldn't go on. The reason? Well, just that my TV decided to produce this time an almost inaudible: I had to put my ear right to speaker to hear something at max vol... quite surprising. On the other hand, the DSS input decided to produce the same buzzing. I must say, though, that I have a 20 meters long cable going from my PC to the DSS analog input, and am afraid that maybe the cable itself is working as an antena (this cable is not perfectly shielded, let's say).
So in summary what I find is a buzz in analog TV and DSS inputs, with a volume level that changes from day to day.
The trouble with is that I can not give a specific diagnosis that can be reproduced exactly, since changes with time.
Maybe that's something related to the AC input, or... don't know what, but would like to know :frowning:
It's a pitty I can not be more specific...

Cam S

Screenwriter
I have this same problem. I have a Klipsch RC-3 sitting on top of my (soon to be replaced) JVC 27" tv. When I am watching tv I here a buzzing out of the center speaker, but as soon as I turn it off, it goes away. I'm using the Technics Da-10 reciever/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks