Buzz in my new speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Mc, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

Just finished connecting my new Infinity speakers using Monster "Flat Speaker Wire". And I can hear a little distortion/buzz in my speakers. It it due to my using old non-shielded and non-gold plated interconnects? This distortion has me concerned. My receiver is a just bought Harman Kardan AVR 120. I'm also using the $80 Monster "Clean" surge protector as well.

So, is the answer to clean up the distortion, is to spend the money for good interconnects?

Thanks for any help.

Tony

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Is it an ongoing buzz/hum or a crackle only when audio occurs?
    If it's a crackle, and you are connected via a digital connection, chances are it isn't the cables.
    Check this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=44650
    Give me a better idea of the specific noise you're hearing and I can probably give you a better idea of what to try.
    -V

3. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

Thank you Vince for your response.

The distortion is when I view cable TV. It occurs when there is sound only. Since I do not have a DVD yet, I'm not sure if the distorted sound is present during DVD playback.

As I said, I'm using some very old (5+ years) analog interconnects. So maybe it is the cables not being shielded and having gold plated connectors. The distortion occurs even during relatively low volume, and very noticeable during higher, but not very high, volume.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Tony. Welcome to HTF.

First, the noise is not Distortion. (You will confuse people if you use the wrong term.)

You either have a Ground Loop or 60 hz humm from the CATV coax.

Ground Loop: Does your new Infinity speakers have self-powered subwoofers? If so, try using a 2-prong to 3-prog "cheater" plug on the speakers.

CATV: With the humm present, try disconnecting your CATV feet to your system. If the humm goes away, it's from the CATV service. Check the link above for advice on how to solve this.