Buzz in Classe CA 150 and B&K AV 5000 II

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ross W., May 24, 2004.

1. Ross W.

Ross W. Extra

I have two amps in my home theater /stereo setup. Both are a few years old, I was not the first owner.
    The Classe CA 150 sounded great for about a year and then suddenly developed a buzz not real loud but definitely noticeable in both channels and very annoying.
    The B&K always had a slight buzz in all channels but not too significant as that amp is not for stereo listening.I heard of this complaint before with the B&K AV5000 Series II

I checked the power supply , put on a monster power conditioner, tried relocating the amp to another location, diconnected from the preamp ( B&K AVP3090 ) . Nothing worked externally so It appears to be problems internally with both amps.

Does anyone have any suggestons as to what to look for when talking to my electronics service technician or should they be sent back to the manufacturers at much higher cost. I am really more concerned with the Classe.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Have you done any electrical stuff in your house (e.g. dimmers)? Do you have a cable box hooked-up in the system? If so, have you tried disconnecting the cable box? Have you added any equipment to the system that might be creating a ground loop that caused the buzz in the Classe? I would eliminate the external possibilites by just hooking up the Classe and the preamp (disconnecting and unplugging everything else), trying different cables, etc., before doing something else.

3. Ross W.

Ross W. Extra

Phil,

I shut off all dimmers , (they did cause an earlier buzz that was cured by shutting off the lights), shut off everything at the breaker in the basement plus unplugged and shup off baby monitors etc. Changed speaker wire, did not even have the pleamp connected and I still got the problem.
    Maybe I will try it over at my neighbors house to see if there is any improvement.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Ross,

Halogens can also cause substantial noise and transformer buzzing.

If you have any halogens, make sure they are off and test for the buzz.

Cheers,