What's new

Buzz and Hum (1 Viewer)

Clyde Metz

Agent
Using the Kenwood VR-6070, Denon DVD-2900, Cable Box I have loud buzz or hiss or hum on my VMPS RM2.
I have tried many remedies and none have worked. Like dedicated line, Rat Shack filters, unplugging everything. Anyway my question for those who have the Kenwood 6070 have any of you experienced this problem. I have read other post that say the receiver is a main cause of noise. Any experience with this? Thanks
Clyde

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I had a similar problem when hooking my Marantz AV560 and Rotel RMB-1095 together. Solution was to replace my coax connection from DVD player to Marantz with optical. When I introduced a sub into the equation it came back and I had to run my tv cable through a splitter into my surge protector and back into my pre/pro. Try to better ground your receiver to see if it helps.

Kevin

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
I had the problem when I upgraded to an Outlaw 950/770. As soon as I turned the system on, a very noticeable hum appeared. The 770 manual had a whole section on hums and the first suggestion was to check the cable TV connection and sure enough this was the problem.

If this is your problem do an internet search on "ground loop isolator." I did and one of the quick and easy solutions was to place two transformers in the cable TV line from where it comes into your house but before it hits your cable box. These transformers (which are very cheap) convert 75 ohms to 300 (a small cylinder with a male 75 ohm connector on one end and 2 wires coming out the other) and 300 ohms to 75 ohms (a square piece that has a place to attach two wires and a female 75 ohm connector). These connectors are routinely used to attached coaxial wiring to antennas.I had these "transformers" around the house and it worked. No more hum. I should mention that according to the literature I read there could be a problem if cable goes to HD with a wider band width and so a more permanent solution (io.e. wiring the cable box ground to the house's electircal system ground) may be necessary.

John

Clyde Metz

Agent
Along with test outlined above I did this:
I disconnected the RCA cables from the amp,(no other component connected, dvd, cable box all diconnected) and with the amps on there is a very, very slight, what I would call hiss. Only heard through the tweeter.
Then I reconnected the RCA to the amp and the Kenwood (Kenwood not powered up and unplugged) and the hiss became a louder buzz, through the tweeter and midrange. (Probably because it was louder my classification went from a hiss to buzz)
I then powered up the Kenwood; no change Same buzz same loudness. Then I turned up the volume and as the volume increases the buzz gets louder.
Clyde

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
You have a grounding issue. Same scenario for me and fixed as I mentioned above.

Kevin

Clyde Metz

Agent
Kevin, Thanks for the suggistions.
i could use more clairification. I do have optical running from the DVD to receiver. And the hiss occurs with only the amps connected, although very little. The hiss gets louder when the RCA is connected to the receiver. Remember the cable box is not connected and is unplugged.
How would I better grouding the receiver? Thanks.
Clyde

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks