What's new

Buying Wine online where? (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hi all..

I was wondering if anybody here buys wine online and if so where do you go?

Thanks
R~

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
It is mostly illegal to transport alcohol across state lines, due to tax & age issues.

That said, I believe there are agreements between some states that allow this sort of transportation.

My point is, even if you can find a place to buy wine online, there are likely to be only a handful of states that particular seller can ship to.

Bill Wise

Agent
Rhett,

Ryan is partially correct in that there are some states which have made it a felony to purchase mail-order alcohol. Kentucky comes immediately to mind and I believe Georgia is another. However, if you live in one of the reciprocal states, it's no problem. I've found that I've had the best luck dealing directly with the producers. Contact your favorites and ask to be put on their mailing list. You'll get first crack at new releases and generally favorable pricing.

Otherwise check here for a list of online merchants recommended by some serious wineauxs.

Regards,

Bill

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I've purchased from wine.com and have had positive experience each time (last time was about a month ago...1 btl of '00 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port and 1 btl of '00 Graham's Vintage Port). Try the following codes for even better deals:

10PERCENT
USAEVM
SIGNUP10
REG15% (The best discount, obviously at 15%)

At wine.com they'll readily identify the states to which they'll ship their products. Here is a direct link:

Shipping details

Also, there is zachys.com another reputable online dealer.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Yes, Certain states allow shipping of alcohol. Illinois is one of them :D . You can find out wineries from napa valley and they will ship you wine direct. Check out http://www.napavalley.com/
Certain wineries also have wine clubs and send out special reserve wines to club members. I'm partial to http://www.clospegase.com

Good luck and enjoy!

SteveA

Supporting Actor
I just read the other day that my state (Virginia) will start allowing wine to be shipped directly to customers in other states starting July 1st. A prohibition-era law preventing such sales was just repealed.

Here's a story about it, if you're interested:

http://nbc12.com/news/MGBDAVJWGGD.html

Brett_H

Second Unit
While we're on the subject of online wine buying:

My wife and I honeymooned at the Sandals Royal Caribbean resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica last year. While we were there, we had some really good (by our standards) wine. It was called Oakville Chateau Blanc, made in Jamaica. I know it's nothing fancy, but we've been trying to find it locally and having a hard time (go figure!). Anyone know of this wine, and if so, know of a source for it in the states?

Just curious, it would make a nice gift for her if I could find some.

Thanks,
-Brett.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I honeymooned at the Sandals Royal Caribbean resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica last year. While we were there, we had some really good (by our standards) wine.
I don’t know this wine Brett. But you might want to be a bit careful in paying too much for this wine even if you find some.

It used to be thought that some German wines did not ‘travel well’. This because wine drunk at the castle overlooking the Rhine on a beautiful summer day (and while gazing into each other’s eyes) never tasted the same when drunk in the kitchen back home. :D

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I thought I read somewhere that Washington D.C. has a loophole and can have wine shipped to it from all 50 states with no problem. Apparently there's a wine bar there that will soon have wines from all 50 states.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
WOW...

Thanks for all the links mucho appreciated....................I live in california, and we have some great shops to buy wine, but I sometimes can't find what I am looking for at my local shops.....

Thanks again for all the links and info,,,,,,,,, :D

R~

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Another factor to consider when having wine shipped directly to your home is the weather. Direct shipping is not legal in Arizona, but if it was I would not be ordering any wine from May-September. Heat will kill wine, and having it sit out side on my porch all day in 105 degree heat will guarantee that it will be spoiled before I get home. Just something to think about before hitting the "submit order" button. TF

Brett_H

Second Unit
Lew,

It used to be thought that some German wines did not ‘travel well’. This because wine drunk at the castle overlooking the Rhine on a beautiful summer day (and while gazing into each other’s eyes) never tasted the same when drunk in the kitchen back home.
Oh, I'm sure it's nothing that great but it sure would be nice to get a bottle or two to spark a memory or two.

Thanks,
-Brett.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I thought I read somewhere that Washington D.C. has a loophole and can have wine shipped to it from all 50 states with no problem.
This isn't a Federal law, it's by state or territory only. When they wrote the 21st Amendment to repeal Prohibition, they needed to buy the votes of some states that wanted to stay "dry". So the 21st Amendment, section 2, recites "The transportation or importation into any State, Territory, or possession of the United States for delivery or use therein of intoxicating liquors, in violation of the laws thereof, is hereby prohibited." Otherwise the Commerce Clause would prevent states from erecting barriers to "intoxicating liquors".

Interesting medical marijuana question: is marijuana an "intoxicating liquor" under the 21st Amendment? After all, radio and television have been held to be "the press" under the 1st Amendment. If so, the Feds would have to defer to State laws because there is no permission under the Commerce Clause (and hence the Constitution) to even enact Federal anti-marijuana laws.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.