Buying velodyne cht home theater speakers help ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hammerly, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I am thinkning about getting these. I really want the set with 5 black speakers. Onecall has the set with a black center and 4 white surrounds for $249. A place called audiovideoshopper.com has the set in black with the CHT80 sub for $399. Have you guys heard of them? Im thinking about jumping on this deal, but don't know if they are reputable. Any place else that sells them? Any help out there? thanks guys! [​IMG]

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Jason, here's a very posititve review of the Velodyne CHT speakers. IMO though I would not buy the package with the CT-80, Velodyne's smallest sub. I've heard it and can tell you there are much better choices for subs in this price range. At the very least you might want to consider their 10" or 12" subs from that line or a sub from another manufacturer. If you tell us what your budget is for speakers and sub you'll get plenty of recommendations.
    Vin

3. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I thought about getting the $399 deal from audiovideoshopper if they are reliable and dumping the sub on flea bay. That way I can get black speakers. I bet I could get at least $150 for the sub on ebay don't you think? Then get the SVS 25-31 cs for a sub to go with these. I really want some inexpensive speakers that extend low enough that there isn't a hole in the frequency response. I would also like them to be relatively small and an unobtrusive (for me not my wife BTW). The velodyne speakers seem to take a lot of power and get very loud and extend to 80 hz. I listened to the NSP1 set JBL puts out at Best Buy and they don't sound real great to me, otherwsie I'd consider them. Any other opinions on a relatively cheap set that would fit the bill? Looking to spend maybe $300 on the receiver, $300-$400 on speaker set (I have a cheap pair of JBL's that have served as surrounds that I could use, but would prefer timre matched set), and the SVS 25-31cs and plate amp for around $500. Thanks for the input. Any other place to get the Velodyne set?