Buying used xbox. Thomson Drive problem to look out for?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Mack, Oct 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey again, guys. Doing some more research I see that some of the earlier Xboxes had a problematic thomson drive. Is there anything I should look for when buying used? Manufacturing date? It's supposedly "like new".

Thanx! d

2. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Have had my Xbox since launch, also with Thompson drive, no problems. That isn't to say that they are all like that. I believe MS will still replace the drive if you have the Thompson drive. Something you would have to call about.

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanks for the link! But after reading that whole page with the conflicting opinions I am more confused than before! Ah well. I'm getting avery good deal on a lightly used xbox and all I want it for is games.

[​IMG]

5. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I have a launch Xbox with a Thompson drive and it has worked fine ever since. I have a friend who bought an Xbox about two years after launch and it seems to have problems reading many popular games. Often times he will have to re-load a game three or four times to get it to work. I certainly these problems don't exist on the 360's!

6. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

A few years back I had problems with my launch Xbox. The problem was that it wouldn't load my save file on KOTOR. So I got a new one with a Samsung drive and problem solved.

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I got it and it has the Philips drive...

d