What's new

Buying used games: good or bad? (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
My sons birthday is coming up this weekend, and he's a Pokemon fanatic. I was thinking about picking up Pokemon Stadium 2 for the N64 and Pokemon Crystal for his Game Boy Color. The thing is, Stadium 2 is still $60!!! I was thinking about stopping by Gamestop and picking it up used for $40, but doesn't it use a battery to save information? Is it a good idea getting this game used instead of new? Granted, he'll be getting a Gamecube of his own from his granparents in about two months, and I'm sure Nintendo's cooking up a new Pokemon to use with it, so he won't be playing it long. I'm worried about that battery, though. In both Stadium 2 and Crystal. What do you guys think?

Freddy C.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
My experience with buying used games has always been positive. I've not had too much experience buying cartriges, though.

I doubt you'll have a problem. Gamestop has a guarantee on their used games anyway.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I think you are even safer buying a used cartridge than you are a used game on disc. A disc can be scratched, but what can go wrong with a cartridge? As long as no one has stepped on it, I'd imagine you'd be pretty safe.

Frederick

Second Unit
It's not the game itself that I'm concerned with, it's that I don't remember if they use batteries to save game data. If it is a battery, I'm worried that the kid will be playing his heart out trying to beat Mew or his twisted clone Mew-Two, and after he completes his mission and thinks he saved it, the bloody battery gives out from prior abuse or just old age and he's out of luck ...

Freddy C.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Frederick,

If that happens, just think of it a lesson in life for the kid. (Sh*t happens) Go ahead and buy it, I doubt you'll experience any battery life issues.

Frederick

Second Unit
True, Scott. Very true. Damn Nintendo and their cartridge-based maddness!!! I'm going to go and pick it up today. Thanx, guys ...

Freddy C.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have perhaps 50 N64 games and have yet to have a cartridge battery problem. I've also bought perhaps five of those used, and never had a problem. Check out EB Game World stores (as opposed to Electronics Boutique) as I find them to have some of the better USED prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2handband