What's new

Buying "Used Games" Disguised as "New" (1 Viewer)

Alanna

Second Unit

But they have been opened and handled. And to me (and many others) that's just not new. =)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I often don't get to play games (or watch DVDs) soon after buying them, but I *always* give them at least a quick tryout as soon as I get them so I don't get screwed later on.

Of course, 4 hours in won't show up right away. In that case, you could always try to swap it at the store where you bought it -- don't tell them it's a year old, just that you don't have the receipt because the game worked fine for a long time before crapping out.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
At some stores, they let employees take home the open disc so that they can "be informed" about the game. To me, that = used, which should also = less money. If it ain't sealed, I'm not paying full price. I'll just go across the street and get a new copy.

-Dave

Alanna

Second Unit

I test them too, usually the "two hour test" if time permits. Silver had some quirks in the opening but I chalked it up to bad game design. Of course I was really pissed when it just up and died hours later into the game. There's a new area it wants to trigger and can't, the screen stays black and that's it. You can hear the Dreamcast trying to read from the disc and it just cannot do it. I tried taking it back to the store and they offered me either a dollar for it or to swap it with one of their five dollar DC games. Of course everything they have for five dollars is crappy so I just took my Silver back home. I had wanted that game for SO long (the PC version which I could NOT find for the life of me not even with the help of the company that published it lol). So YEAH! now I have the game. Only it doesn't work. Minor details will not ruin my happiness!!!

Joe Spratley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
test
I think the problem here is that you never know if you are really getting a new game or a used one. The seals eliminate that doubt. When it has a seal on it you know it is brand new. What is preventing EBgames or gamestop from getting a trade in thats in good condition and then selling it as new. Think about it. They can sell it new for 49.99 instead of 34.99 used. So you maybe paying full price for a used game that you could have bought for 34.99.

Alanna

Second Unit
I wish the used games were $34.99. The EB/Gamestop in my area only does $5 dollar markdowns. So that semi-hot game title used is usually $44.99 which is ridiculous because for five more bucks I can have a brand new one. Ugh. As long as stickers/seals are intact, I'm a happy camper.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I think the only thing I have ever bought new was gameboy games and that is because I rarely play it, and don't want to spend $30 on some dumb game that will keep me occupied for no more than an hour.

In any case, if I ever have a problem with a used game, just bring it back.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I work at a retailer and the games we get in directly from the manufacturer do not always come in the nice shrink wrap with the folded edges. Sometimes they come with shrink wrap that has raised corners like it was done at home. So it does matter if the side stickers are on it still. There is no real way to check and see if the store reshrink wrapped it, it is in fact against most company policy to resell something once it has been opened and I doubt a compnay would risk it since they get full rembursement for the returned game.

Damien

Supporting Actor
I hate it when I purchase a game at EB, and when they remove the CD sleeve they rub their fingers all over the back, so when I get it there's a nice fingerprint on the cd.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit

Yea but most of the time, a pre-owned new title is usually in pretty good condition, and if you have our GMR card, you'll only be paying $40. Plus you get a lifetime warranty on all pre-owned games, controllers, etc. So 6 months from now, if you drop your Tony Hank Underground and the disc get's scratched, your stuck with it. If it was pre-owned, just return it to any EB with the receipt for another copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks