Buying used DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Moe, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Reading on here makes me feel like an oddball sometimes, and I want to see if I am as different from you all as I think I am.
    I buy 90% of all my DVD's used. I very rarely buy DVD's on the day they come out, but there are definitely exceptions to that, for instance I got LOTR, Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction on release day.
    I enjoy the thrill of the hunt buying used, you never now what you are going to find and when I find something that I really want used it always puts a big smile on my face. I have also found some great stuff used, Criterion Robobcop and Silence of the lambs, Evil Dead II tin to name a few and I paid $25 for all three of those.
    Buying used also allows me to buy more DVD's. In general I can get 3-4 used DVD's for the price of 2 new ones.
    Maybe I am lucky because where I live (Berkeley California) we happen to have two place with large selections of used product which may be unusual in other parts of the world.
    Another thing that may factor into this is, is that I am a Netflix member and my turn around time with them is very short (typically three days) so I very rarely have nothing new to watch.
    I also will never make a blind purchase, unless it is something that I am 95% sure I will like and it is cheap. I just picked up From the Earth to the Moon (used) for $15 and I had never seen it. I loved it though.
    Anyway, anyone else out there like me? Reading on here it seems like everyone shops at Best Buy and is there on Tuesday mornings when the doors open and is going to buy every new release that came out. [​IMG]

2. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

No I know what you mean about the "hunt" for good deals. Recently I have been having so much luck with good deals...a five dollar here, a four dollar over there, a six dollar the next week...that I have trouble paying full price for DVDs anymore, which maybe is good but so many times I am left wanting because some of the rarer or better DVDs are just hard to find used.

-Eric

3. Scott DeToffol

Scott DeToffol Stunt Coordinator

I don't know of anyplace that sells used DVDs. I've seen them at Blockbuster, but they don't have the original cases or extra disks. Anyone know of a decent used store in Minnesota?

I am ADDICTED to getting a good deal, however, and will buy new disks that I might not have otherwise if I can get a great deal.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I will sort through a store’s used DVD section and have no aversion to making a used purchase. But, its only others that seen to find Salò for $9.99, never me.

I do this less all the time, as I have begun to think that any savings do not make up for the time spent in the hunt. And sometimes when I find a DVD that I’m interested, I need to check to see if a new, re-mastered version is now available.

5. Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz Stunt Coordinator

were in minnesota are you located? You can pick up used dvds at any used cd store (cd wharehouse) has a great selection. Also used book stores are starting to get into it. Also Funcoland and other used video game stores. Then there is the ever famous pawn shops, though they usually have them all stacked up behind the counter or locked up in a glass case to make it hard to pick on out. I`m sure there are a ton more places, it seems everywhere is dealing in dvds nowadays.

6. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Chris, you're not an oddball for buying used DVDs. I do it all the time. I don't do it with new titles I really want (although I do look for a deal). I usually search a few websites I know for catalog titles I've been meaning to get, maybe I'm just lucky but have never gotten a bad disk.
    I'm still one of those guys who will buy a movie on VHS if it's not likely to be out on DVD and it's amazing what I can get for a buck or two. If a couple years from now they come out on DVD I don't feel I've lost money replacing them.

7. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Glad to see I'm not totally alone here. Actually part of me likes the people that go to Best Buy every Tuesday and buy all the new stuff, some of them are the ones that go to used places a week later and sell off the ones they don't like [​IMG]
    I have gotten one bad disc (X-men) but brought it back with no problems. I don't go buying VHS though, icky [​IMG]. I do buy laserdiscs of movies not on DVD or that I can find really cheap. If I could only find Three O'Clock High on laserdisc I'd be a happy man.
    Lew:
    Looking through the used section thinking your going to find Salo is going to be pretty fruitless (I do check whenever I go though [​IMG] ) But I find great stuff all the time. If you dont think taking the time is worth the money saved, then by all means shop new. I can't say I agree with you, a dollar saved is a dollar saved no matter how you look at it. In regards to having to check if a newer or remastered edition is out, don't you have to do the same with new ones as well. For me though this forum keeps me pretty up to date with which versions are which.
    Scott DeToffol:
    There is this place on line that sells used DVD's, I can't personally vouch for them since I haven't tried them out yet. Here is the link http://www.secondspin.com/index.cfm and then there is always eBay
    Eric Walsh:
    I feel the same way as you about paying full price for a DVD, I've gotten so spoiled paying used prices anything over $15 feels painful (even if it isn't) I do buy new when I want something badly or just on a whim every now and then though.

8. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Chris -

where do you go in Berekley?

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was at Rasputins and amoeba on friday and it was funny how they had the exact same things (brazil was $1 cheaper at amoeba)
    Just found the razor's edge (80s) at amoeba on haight st for $18.
    They do have alot more than the beserkly store!

10. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I go to Rasputins and Amoeba. I prefer Rasputins, although Amoeba often has better deals (they are more apt to lower a price on something if they have several copies of it). Customer service is non-existant at both places though, in fact I think its frowned upon by the managment.

Yes, Amoeba in SF has more than Berkeley store but they are considerably more expensive. Usually a 2-3 dollars from what I have noticed. But there selection is impressive. I did pick up Swimming With Sharks there for $4.95 though. I also don't like how Amoeba doesn't seperate the used from the new. I don't go to the SF stores very often, my house is only a couple miles away from the ones in Berkeley.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Chris
    I pretty much agree. I look at the tops of the dvds, no seal -it's used.
    I am 7 blocks from the Haight st store so I dont need to look for parking!
    The LDs have gone up big time. The Crit. 8 1/2 is now $60.

12. LarryE

LarryE Stunt Coordinator

I love the hunt of the used dvd as well. However, I purchased From Hell, and when I got to the car and opened the disc, the extras disc was gone. When I went back inside and explained this, the clerk said "oh yeah, we take those and throw them away." Apparently some people rent the movie, return only the extras, and keep the original movie. I thought that is why they track who rents these things. Pretty lazy if you ask me, therefore, I only buy single disc editions.

13. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

LarryE
    That is pretty stupid of them, you would think they would just keep them somewhere and then put them back in when they sell them. To just throw them away seems like a total waste.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

15. LarryE

LarryE Stunt Coordinator

That is funny!

16. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Thanks!
    Just dont tell the kids you are hunting Bambi
    (No just the DVD.....really!!)

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I've been purchasing a fair amount of used DVD's from the local TransWorld stores: FYE and Coconuts. Probably a bit pricey for used ($10 to $15), but some rare titles are found occasionally and *most* are still cheaper than brand new. All have been in pristine condition, as well, except for just one that I had to clean.

18. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I never get used DVDs, I hate the fingerprints, the smell, the scratches, etc, I just can't stand used anything, especially DVDs and when I'm adding to a collection that I plan on keeping for about 50 years if I don't die sooner.
    I do miss the "hunt" for as I just get everything from one or two same websites, pre-orders mostly. So I substitute the feel of the hunt by searching out and getting best movies and deals on from other regions, like Japan, Korea, UK, and Australia.
    Honestly, if I had little money to spend on DVD but the same wants list, I'd still not buy any used copies, better have 10 perfectly new ones than 50 used discs, that's what I think.

19. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Does anyone know a good place in the Seattle area?

20. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Lenny Nero, I have never understood people who think like you. I used to work at a CD/Video store and we handled used products and trust me you are not alone. What I don't get is that the minute you open a DVD that you buy and watch it once it is now a used product. Just take a look at whatever it is your buying and inspect it, if its all scratched up or has fingerprints on it (which they rarely do) don't buy it.
    I'm not complaining though, the less used buyers there are the better selection for me [​IMG]
    You hate the smell of used DVD's?!?!?