What's new

Buying used 55" Mits...warnings?? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I should know more about this before I asked, but it's actually the girlfriends deal. A "mid-range ($3,500) Mitsubishi RPTV" for $500. How could we go wrong?

Well, that's the question, how could we?

Any suggestions on moving, alighnment, etc?

Jim

John Royster

Screenwriter
if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

on that note post the model number and year. This can be found on the back of the TV. There are many things that can go wrong with a RPTV (burn in, convergence board out of wack, CRTs worn out). But on the other hand 500 bucks for a RPTV isn't bad if you're willing to accept the risks.

Kind of like buying a porsche sight unseen. could be a steal, could be a waste of money. I wouldn't dare buy it with out looking at it and verifying its age/looking for CRT burn.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
It's a 1081...Medallion, less than a year old. We got it and there don't seem to be any problems.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Ok, I'll bite... did they say WHY they were selling it and for that price? If someone is moving quick or something, then you can get some good deals, but if nothing is wrong with it (or even if some minor things are), that's a stupid-crazy good deal.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Brad,
Yes, they said...and it's not important here. Enough to say that we know these people and it was a "friend" deal.
I may have to speed up this relationship, she has the cable and the RPTV, I have the killer surround system. :D

John_St

Auditioning
I don't know man... Even for a friend deal it's a little too good. They'd be losing lots of cash with that deal.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Do you have any knowledge of how the set has been used? Was it overdriven for any length of time?

As for the deal, wow. If the set is truly in good condition, you've just entered into the bargain of your life.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
And your sure it's not off the back of the 'friends' truck? ;) ;)
Look for burn-in on it. Maybe it was a floor demo and it has a nice Mits. logo burned in from the old football game demo.
Maybe the folks have enough money that they don't really care what they get for it, but want to charge something so it doesn't seem like a handout. That's a good type of friend to have, if that's the case! Heh. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks