What's new

"Buying TPM" stories thread. (1 Viewer)

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Found it at Costco. They had about 8-9 cases, each had at least a 2 dozen each. Selling for $18.99. That was higher than Best Buy, but at least Simpsons Box 1 was cheaper than best buy ($24.95).

Kami

Screenwriter
My only choice was going to my local Music World (a canadian music/movie chain). It is cheaper at Costco and Future Shop, but I picked it up for $24.99 Canadian ($17 US) which isn't too bad. I got there before they opened their doors (but the mall was already opened). Two other guys were waiting there for the same reason.
Me: "You guys waiting to grab yourself a copy of Star Wars?"
other guy: "Damn right man!"
then we were exchanging words about our HT setups and how much we wanted the disc...our conversation soon ended when the doors were opened
biggrin.gif

They had about 30 or 40 copies in there (and it was just a small store inside a mall).
All I can say is that I am thoroughly impressed with the disc...I think I'll end up carrying it around with me for a week
wink.gif

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart's Mega Mart about a 1/2 hour after opening where they were selling SW:TPM like hotcakes at $16.88 each. I waited in line at one of 4 open registers where every person was buying a copy, must have been 15 of us. The cashier said she checked out about 20 people before me who were buying it as well. If TPM doesn't set a new sales record I'll be very surprised.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I have the BEST story (to me, anyway). The Force must have been with me and a bud done bought it for me. He said that it was for helping with his basement, but I think that was cover for the wives. Real reason? He doesn't have DVD yet...and HAD to see it! Hell, I can't think of a better reason. I hugged him and changed my daughter's name to Shawn. So, for me no wait and zippo bucks.
Man...we spent a couple hours just pouring through those discs...sweet DVD goodness. Saddest part was watching the other Anakin actor hopefuls and thinking..."that one would have been better...no, that one...that one..."
Phil
------------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Got to Futureshop around 2PM, and it seemed quite busy and looked like a lot of people had a copy in their hand (but there were stacks of the disc). Only $23.99, which is 3 dollars less than their advertising on TV (and $12 less than the "white sticker" regular price). Nothing too unusual though, but....
Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Gamecube (old game)

The Gamecube game is Rogue Leader 2 and so new that it's not even out yet. This is considered by many to be THE system seller.
------------------

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I didn't know about that free bonus disc. I'm not into video games so I guess I'm not missing anything. Anyway, despite the lower price on TPM, I didn't feel like driving all the way down to the nearest Best Buy so I went to my local Wal-Mart. Walked past the standup display containing only fullscreen copies of C&D, picked up TPM, paid for it, walked out. End of story. :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Kheng Hong

Agent
There is a big vertical 'I' on the spine, to match 'II','III','IV','V' and 'VI'.
------------------
Sony ES Poster Boy

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
This thread's a little old now, but I just thought I should share this.
Picked up my TPM no problem at the "evil Wal-Mart" :) on street date, because it had the best price going. No probs, and the big display was still 75% stocked at about 9:00pm.
The dumb part... I was doing some other shopping yesterday, and popped into Cinema One, a specialty movie store. They were marking the TPM release by playing the movie on all their display screens... but they were playing the PAN&SCAN VHS VERSION!!!
rolleyes.gif

Chad

Richard Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
I went around 10:30 AM and there wasn't any huge, impressive line. Actually, to my great surprise, there wasn't a prominent display (I didn't see one at all, but maybe it was buried somewhere; the Godfather display was still up, though), and there weren't any copies in the "Hot DVDs" section...not even an empty space where copies might've been earlier. There were a fair number of copies in the Sci-Fi section, but again, not too many out and no gaping holes. I guess the Best Buy here isn't banking on selling too many copies right now or something.
Probably 'cos it's widescreen adn everyone knows widescreen's crap
biggrin.gif

Anyway, mine was nice n simple. Clicked on 'E Z BUY' on DVDstreet a couple of months ago. 10am on Release day, postie drops it through my door. I'm a lazy git :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks