Buying Toshiba 42H81 need help w/other hardware

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Purnell, Dec 7, 2001.

1. John Purnell

John Purnell Auditioning

Hi everybody, I'm brand new to this thread so I apologize if any questions I ask are redundant. Getting a Toshiba 42H81, need to know a decent DVD, reciever, speaker system, that won't break my wallet. Second the house I live in had an old Bose Lifestyle system, should I just cut the wires and hook new speakers up, or should I get 16 gauge wire (or better). The store that I am getting the TV from is Tweeter, and they carry a lot of Denon, Yamaha recievers, and Mirage, Boston Accoustics, and Klipsh speakers.

My family room has a vaulted ceiling so I know I won't get the best sound possible, but I would like decent sound. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SteveBjr

SteveBjr Stunt Coordinator

It's best to post what your willing to spend for your setup. Some hardware is cheap to other people whereas it's very expensive to me [​IMG]

3. John Purnell

John Purnell Auditioning

Yes, you are right. Well for a DVD = $200-300, Reciever = $500-600, Speakers = really no clue. I can imagine the whole system would run around $2,000 just for these three parts. It looks like I'll probably go to Home Depot to get the speaker wire; from what I can read from past threads this is not a bad idea and saves on $.

4. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

How about?

DVD PlayerPanasonic RP56$220
    A/V RecieverOutlaw 1050$500
    SpeakersJBL Studio$1000

Brian

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi John. Welcome to HTF!

Well for the electronics, you are going to want a Progressive Scan DVD player to go with that Toshiba. Make sure you get this on whatever unit you decide upon.

Since you are buying a complete new system, go back to your Tweeter's salesman and ask what he can do for you. They sometimes will offer a good discount for a TV/DVD/Receiver combo bought at the same time. Sticking with Yamaha/Dennon/Onkyo for the receiver is always a safe bet.

The speakers...this is where it gets tricky.

Tastes in speakers are like tastes in ice-cream. I could line up 5 brands of chocolate ice cream in a row and order them from "best" to "worst". You would do the same and get a different order. This is why you should never believe someone when they claim "The FUBAR XXX speakers blew everything else away!". Just because He liked it, does not mean you would. So you should really try to go out and listen to the speakers themselves. Take notes and pick the ones you like.

Another thing about speakers (we are getting into my personal theories now): Music speakers are about accuracy, but HT speakers are about impact.

This means for a HT system, you can get away with some smaller, less accurate (read "less expensive") speakers and get a great sounding system.

About a year ago, a well-respected member of this fourm, with a fairly high-end set of electronics went over to a relatives house. They had just purchased a "Home Theater in a Box" system. A budget receiver, 5 speakers and a self-powered sub for $500. He arrived with many doubts, but he left in shock at how good the system sounded.

The cheap system sounded good because:

- All the speakers were tone-matched and designed to work together

- It had an external sub for "impact"

- He knew what he was doing when he arranged the speakers and adjusted the system.

(Note: the system was a Kenwood HTB-503, and the current replacement for it is the Kenwood HTB-504 if you want to know).

You can solve the first 2 issues by looking at sets of Home Theater speakers. Some names to look for are Energy, Paradigm, Definitive Technologies.

We can help you with the third issue: setting it up and adjusting it.

Here is my "checklist" of things for you to do:

- Go to your Tweeters salesman and get a quote for a DVD player and receiver.

- Go to Radio Shack and buy the Analog SPL meter for about $40.

- Buy a copy of either the Avia or Video Essentials DVD which will help you adjust both that new TV and the sound system.

- Figure out how much money you would have left over for speakers. Then search for speakers based on this budget.

Hope this helps.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Welcome!
    Receiver:
    Denon AVR-2802 on-line. Has DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and 6.1 Matrix decoding as well as ProLogic II. Component video switching, binding posts for all speaker terminals, good quality amplifiers. A clean 90 watts x 6 at full range(don't let the lower numbers fool you-- less distortion is better on the speakers than higher watts and dirtier sound).
    Speakers:
    Your guess is as good as mine. Best to audition them yourself. NHT, Paradigm, PSB, Tannoy, Definitive Tech., B&W, Mirage, the new Polk Audio speakers etc. all are good speakers for the money. You want timbrally matched speakers all around.
    For example, in the case of the Denon receiver, you could get 3 pairs of Polk Audio RT55i bookshelves (on sale at Crutchfield or -ugh!- Circuit City for $399 a pair) and have a really nice setup (similar to my neighbor's 6.1 surround system-- she has the slightly smaller RT35i for the center back speaker now as it fit on the wall better-- and the rest are RT55i's) and be 100% timbrally matched. A vertically aligned center speaker (matched to the front left & right's) is the best idea as this is how movies and music are monitored at the mixing studios and the sound is less boxy and congested (compared to a speaker labeled as a "center channel speaker").
    Direct radiating speakers in the rear hemisphere (especially when using 6.1 or 7.1 channel decoding) properly aligned gives you the best soundfield for both multichannel music (concert DVDs, DTS CD, DVD-Audio, and SACD) and movie listening.
    Add a subwoofer (like an SVS or Adire Riva) a little later.
    DVD Player:
    My bet's on a Panasonic DVD-RP91 DVD-Video/Audio player for now. Its online price is very reasonable for an all around quality progressive scan player with no chroma (color signal) upscaling bug and non-anamorphic to pseudo anamorphic scaling while staying in progressive scan mode that rivals and even beats your Toshiba HDTV's ZOOM mode (you then leave the TV on FULL mode most of the time). The progressive scan players with the SAGE/Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer do not have this quality upscaling feature. The Panasonic RP-56 is a cheaper DVD-Video only player with the SAGE/Faroudja chipset and has a video flicker problem.
    Just over your $2,000 mark, but well worth it IMHO. Don't forget a good surge protector/power line filter like a Panamax as well (a must have to protect your investment).
    Dan

7. Paul A. Robinso

By the way 40H81 great choice,I have the TX40X81.

For a DVD-player (I tested the progressive-scan: Sony NS-700p, the Panasonic-RP56(w/Faroudja video de-interlacing and the JVC-SV-S65GD) Returned them all(for having Chroma-bug, flicker or lacking in feature or Ergonomics)

So what now (currently using the Toshiba SD-2200)

Go with the Toshiba SD-4700 (230.00 at Best-Buy) or

check out the soon to be released Onkyo DV-S757(Yes I have matched their product with my TW40X81 and their DV-S600-DVD-Changer, great, but it had no Progressive-Scan or DVD-Audio) The DV-S757 should come in at 450.00-550.00 $ a little high but with the features offered here with THX-Certification, Well let just say... I'm waiting on it's release.

Receiver: simple, Onkyo TX-DS595 75w x 5-Chl (500.00) or

the TX-DS696 100 x 5-Chl (800.00)with Component video switching, S-Video to Composite video conversion and both receivers come with a Learning Remote that can run all your equipment. I have the TX-DS898.

Note the price of each of these receivers are the MSRP and can be purchased for 100-200$ less.

Speakers, two choices, Polk RM6600-series around 1000.00$ or and this is a great buy (If I could sell my Old Polk-RM5400 Series) AR's HC6 HT-speaker system MSRP-799.00