What's new

Buying Tools, Sears? (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I want to buy some basic tools...screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, and so on. A few people said Sears Cratsman was the way to go b/c of their replacement policy. any objections? thanks for the help!

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Craftsman is good stuff, but be careful because not all tools sold by Sears are Craftsman. Their cheap lines don't have the lifetime warrantee.

Other tools also have the lifetime warrantee. For example, Home Depot sells a Husky (IIRC) line that also has a lifetime warrantee, and sells them for less than Craftsman.

Brian Teal

Grip
[plug for my company] All Ace Hardware handtools have a lifetime warranty. [/plug for my company]

That being said, try yard sales! Its great to buy some broken tool that has a lifetime warranty and get it replaced for free just by bringing it to the store.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Yes, make sure it's the Craftsman line you are buying. I have dozens of their tools that were handed down to me by my dad that still work perfectly.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Another vote for Craftsman. My dad also has quite a few of these at their house and they've held up wonderfully through the years. He even has an old craftsman circular saw that has to be every bit of forty years old, and it still works.

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
I like Sears hand tools (good stuff, lifetime warranty), but I usually avoid their power tools, which they have now outsourced to (what seems to be) the lowest bidder.

Tony

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Welp, I made out with an 8 pc. standard wrench set, hammer, pliers, 10 pc. screwdriver, pocket-sized level, drill, bits, and $10 tool box. Everything (all craftsman) is guaranteed forever except the drill....after reading Tony's post, I'm a lil worried :frowning: I was suckered into buying their 12V 75th annv. model; it seems like a quality piece.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Craftsman has a newer more comfortable 3/8 driver. What I did was use my old 3/8 as a breaker bar and got the new one. It's so much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks