1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying tomorrow! Sony 51WS550 or Hitachi 51S700?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Israel _P, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Israel _P

Israel _P Auditioning

It seems that the Hit is the favored model in some places but why exactly? Is it the history of past Sony models that had flickering? Is it a feeling of better overall PQ with the Hitachi?

95% of my viewing will be SD via DirecTV . The other 5% is DVD's. From what I understand, I'll need good stretch modes in order to view SD without burnout. Is that correct? If so, how are the stretch modes on these? What should I look for in stretch mode details. Is there a FAQ on them?

Also, I can't seem to find anything regarding 720p in the TV specs. That is something I should look at, right?

Thanks folks. I've gotten a ton of info from this place.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The flickering issue has been solved on current Sony models. I have a 2 year old Sony KP57HW40, built before the flicker issue occured. It replaced an Hitachi model that I gave up on after 3 weeks (thanks to CC's return policy) which had nasty stretch modes, posterized fleshtones, and a nasty green tint in the darker end of the grayscale.

Both the Sony and the Hitachi crt based sets will accept 720p, but convert it to 1080i-won't display native 720p. This is not an issue since all HD boxes are capable of also converting incoming 720p to 1080i. I see no difference in pq between native 1080i HD channels and native 720p HD channels converted by my HD box to 1080i.