Buying tomorrow! Sony 51WS550 or Hitachi 51S700?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Israel _P, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Israel _P

Israel _P Auditioning

It seems that the Hit is the favored model in some places but why exactly? Is it the history of past Sony models that had flickering? Is it a feeling of better overall PQ with the Hitachi?

95% of my viewing will be SD via DirecTV . The other 5% is DVD's. From what I understand, I'll need good stretch modes in order to view SD without burnout. Is that correct? If so, how are the stretch modes on these? What should I look for in stretch mode details. Is there a FAQ on them?

Also, I can't seem to find anything regarding 720p in the TV specs. That is something I should look at, right?

Thanks folks. I've gotten a ton of info from this place.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The flickering issue has been solved on current Sony models. I have a 2 year old Sony KP57HW40, built before the flicker issue occured. It replaced an Hitachi model that I gave up on after 3 weeks (thanks to CC's return policy) which had nasty stretch modes, posterized fleshtones, and a nasty green tint in the darker end of the grayscale.

Both the Sony and the Hitachi crt based sets will accept 720p, but convert it to 1080i-won't display native 720p. This is not an issue since all HD boxes are capable of also converting incoming 720p to 1080i. I see no difference in pq between native 1080i HD channels and native 720p HD channels converted by my HD box to 1080i.