What's new

Buying Theater Seats (1 Viewer)

Brian D

Auditioning
WARNING - REALLY LONG POST

Ok, here is where I'm at after several weeks of trying to work this out....

First of all I think I have read everything on this forum, and others, that has to do with theater seats, and I have looked at a million web-sites selling them and have had a ton of e-mail and phone conversations with them.... but I still can't drop the hammer.... I'm ready to, but I can't seem to do it....

I am just looking for opinions here, so if you have one, please give it and explain why....

Right now for my back row in my theater, on top of my riser, I have a sectional couch with the corner piece taken out, so that the two couch sections end into each other to make one long 163" row. The couch has two built in recliners and one fold out table type thing and then just a couch section. I have used this set up for years, but it's now a well abused fabric couch and ready to be replaced. Currently my front two rows are actual theater seats from an old theater (they are actually out of the Lowes Grand Theater in Atlanta where they premiered Gone with the Wind. This theater burned down long ago. I always imagine someone cool sat in these seats during the premier and I want to keep them as a part of movie history...).

Anyway, I want to do my back row in leather recliner theater seats with the cup holders in each arm etc... My current couch/recliner set-up has seats for 6 people (5 when the table is out). I want to have 5 seats with the recliners. Eventually I want to get a leather theater couch/recliner set for the 2nd row and then move the old theater seats up a couple of rows as they are more for looks than use, though they have been used many times.

At first I was just looking for the best bang for my buck. Which when just considering what it appears you get for the money, the Cannes recliners here:

interiorexpress.com

Will fit fine, have the chaise lounge design, which I like, and I can get a row of 5 shipped to my door for around $1,500.

Now I am still looking for the best bang for my buck, but, I have been researching a lot, and without being able to see these seats in person and reading so much about the Berklines, I am now considering the 13175 (htmarket.com/home-theater...3175-tang.html) and the 088 models (htmarket.com/mo088rowofth.html).

I am mainly considering this because the Cannes seats have no warranty, and I have no idea on the quality of the leather or the seats themselves, other than what I can see on the site. Also, after reading a lot, the power recline option sounds pretty cool on the Berklines. All of these seats sit between 2" and 4" from the wall and will fully recline, which is important to me since they will be on a riser (more space efficient).

So, after all of this.... I am where I was at the beginning. The Cannes and Berkline 13175 are made in China and the Berkline 088 are made in the US (not sure if that makes a difference quality wise). Also, the Berklines both come with what appears to be good warranties.

From my searching around, the 13175's with leather match and power recline are anywhere from $1000 to $1500 more than the Cannes and the 088's are another say $500 to $1000 above that... depending. The one thing I do not like about the 13175's is they are not the chaise lounge style, which as I said I would prefer.

So, here is where you opinion comes in....

1. Are the quality of the Berkline chairs, even the ones made in China that much better than the "knock offs"? (I mean I can get at least two rows of the Cannes for the same price as one of the Berklines).

2. Is power recline really worth it? How long before it breaks? How easy is it to fix or get fixed?

3. If you have sat in the chaise lounge and the non-chaise lounge styles, which did you prefer and why?

4. Comfort opinions on any and all of these chairs.

5. Best place/price you have found on the Berklines or your personal recommendation.

6. If you have theater chairs, which ones do you have, what do you like about them, what do you dislike about them?

Having said all of this, right now I am leaning towards the Berklines, but that may be foolish, and I'd love to hear either way.

I don't necessarily have a budget, but these are just seats, and I had originally thought I would spend between $1,500 and $2,500.... and now I am looking in the $3,000 range.... I do not want to be in the $4,000 range... just not worth it to me.

If you read all of this, thanks for that.... if you have an opinion... even better!!

Thanks!!

Brian

Brian D

Auditioning
I went to a local store today and sat in some chairs (highly recommended)...

These are my new thoughts based on my time there....

The Berkline 088's are much smaller in person than I thought they would be. Not height wise but width wise. Just felt like a small chair when sitting in it. They also just don't look that impressive, at least not what I was expecting, especially sitting near the larger 090's.

I liked the 090's and the 45004's. The 090's are about 7" to big for my width, unless I throw a love seat configuration in with one armless chair and then it would work.... was thinking |0|0|00|0|

The 45004's are in between the size of the 088's and 090's and the extra size is all in the seat area, so they feel much bigger than the 088's.

Also, on Power Recline. I'm not sure if it was just the demo models they had their but when you use the Power Recline, the leather makes a lot of noise while moving the chairs into position. Like, well, rubbing leather.... almost a screeching noise, I can see it being annoying watching a movie and having people moving their seats... So, I am thinking about only doing power on two recliners.

Would really love to here any and all thoughts on any of what I have said from others who have looked at or have seats.

Also, especially anyone who has the 13175's as they did not carry these in the store. I'd like to know how they compare, especially to the 40004's.

Thanks !!

Brian

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brian:

We used to have a furniture company on our site that had great deals on Berkline and other HT chairs. They are Carolina Furniture Group and a great group of people to work with. They will give you some great ideas on what to pick up out of the Berkline group.

We also have HT Market on our site that offers Berkline. They are a great company to work with before and after the sale.

As far as models go I wish I could be more help but I am sure if you talk to the guys at Carolina Furniture or HT Market they will be able to fix you up with what you want.

Parker

tysonschneider

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyson Schneider

Brian,
Sorry if this is not the kind of response you are looking for since it is not an opinion.

I was just in Costco the other day and they had a home theater powered reclining sectional. I didn't take a close look at it but it might be a thought for the budget conscious type since it is from Costco.

Also, I don't know if they carry Berklines but I have seen various recliners in their store at various times.

Sorry if this sounds like a Costco commercial. But I have purchased so much from them and have always been satisfied with both quality and price.

Brian D

Auditioning
Well after going back and forth and way over examining this. I finally decided that after sitting in the 090's that I wanted the bigger chair and that I would be willing to make a "bump out" in the wall to accomadate the extra arm width. After deciding this I read on this forum somewhere, that Roman over at rtheaters.com said that he had measured the arm width on the 13174's and that they were actually 6.5" and not 7.5" as stated in the specs. Roman confirmed this through e-mail. So, it looks like these seats are going to actually fit without having to do any construction changes. Anyway, I looked at and spoke with Carolina Interiors, HTmarket, and Rtheaters. I'm not sure if I should say who I finally bought from or at what price, but I will say that they were all very helpful. I would even have to give Roman over at Rtheaters extra props as he responded to about 20 e-mails from me with a ton of useful information and he was always friendly and patient. Not to say the others were not helpful or informative, as they were, I just feel like Roman ended up answering a lot of e-mails. :)

So I ordered 5 of the 13174's with power in black leather match. I am supposed to have them in 5 weeks or less. I'll try and report back once I receive them.

Also, if anyone has any questions on the 13174 or 13175's reply here and I can give you some of the info I gleaned from all of my research. If it's a question about these chairs I probably already found out an answer. I am no expert (talk to Roman for that), but maybe I can pay back a little for all the time others spent on me.

thanks all for the input!

thanks,

Brian

DLFDNFDNS

Auditioning
Real Name
Sonya
How do you like your Berkline seats? I am leaning toward the Berkline 13175 and wonder what your thoughts are.

Brian D

Auditioning
Well after all the time I put into researching them and pushing to get them as soon as possible.... all but one are still in the original packaging as I am still re-doing my theater...

The one that I do have out - in my garage - is the two armed powered 13174 and I think it is really nice! I have sat in it quite a bit - not for any long periods of time - as it is in the garage... but it feels really comfortable, the build quality seems top notch and the look and feel are perfect.

Everytime someone sees it, they are wowed, and even more so after sitting in it.... lot's of ahhhh's....

I have been in a bunch of stores and looked at most of the berklines now, and I would put this chair against any of the other ones... yes you can see the top line leathers are nice on the more expensive ones, but honestly I am not sure I don't prefer the leather on these for everyday use, look and last...

just my 2 cents...

oh, and after getting the powered version.... don't get anything else....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks