buying svs's Q's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by itai, Nov 11, 2003.

1. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

Hi all
    I'm considering SVS's new PB1-ISD, as even with the shipping costs, its a good deal. (about 1000$) Comparable product, here in israel, is a Paradigm ps1000, which i believe, the svs is much better.
    Am I right? does it sound like a good deal? is it safe to buy a product without a dealer close by?
    Anyone had expirience with this new model?
    thanks![​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

A comparable product would be the Paradigm PW2200, or the Paradigm servo 15. Take a listen to those, that's pretty close to what you'll get from the PCi series from SVS, and likely also the very similar PB1.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

To ease the decision making process a bit. Look at all the forums... not just this one but like AVS.com, hometheaterspot.com and others. You will find a 99% satisfaction rating I am sure. I don't think there has ever been a poll for those that actually return their subs but you could call Ron at SVS and he would tell you how many they get back. I think the ones they do get back are usually because folks want to trade up for something bigger from him. There has not been a sub on the market that has hit the air waves or internet waves if you will as the SVS over the last few years. Great company and will take care of you as if your the only customer after the sale as well. I have had several subs in my life... nothing has come close to my PB2+ by SVS. Unless they make some ground breaking break through in subs, this one is staying put for along time. Even the wife commented the other day. "Wow this thing is alot better than those two other ones you had" that made me feel good as she usually is not all that impressed or trys not to show it much when we watch movies together. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

4. Edward.P

Edward.P Auditioning

All I can tell you is too initially had doubts buying something over the internet without local dealers. I bought a PB2+, FANTASTIC. See comments below:

am so happy I made the choice and went with SVS, especially the PB2+. Initially in doubt about buying, albeit an outstanding rated product in everything I've read but, relatively unknown to me. I knew Velodyne and Klipsh were good and thought I'd get one of these. The PB2+ rocks, 150 pounds of quality and power. I've never seen or heard anything close to it except in the multi-thousand dollar range. Then the Velodyne compared decently.
    I'm in the military and had an older Sony ES pre-amp/amp system bought while I was stationed in Japan in the 70s. Was time to upgrade to full digital Home Theater multi-channel sound i.e. THX, PLII, etc. and had bought a Denon AVR 4802R Receiver and Denon high-end DVD player. I already had great speakers but needed a good subwoofer to take advantage of LFE and various new home theater modes. I had my heart set on a Velodyne or maybe a Klipsh in the $1000 to $1500 range. I found the SVS site, read the reviews, and made the choice to go with SVS--I'm sure glad I did. I thought there was some risk, there is none. Read the reviews, read the reviews.
    Equally important to the outstanding sound and quality of the PB2+, is service after the sale. SVS is outstanding. Ron, Erik, and Tom will "spoon feed" you until you've received the unit and have it happily set up. The PB2+ is powerful, easy to use, and adjustble with three tuning ports down to 16HZ. Movies and music have never sounded to good. I'd have paid twice as much for this. Velodyne isn't even close unless you pay at least 2X what I paid for the SVS PB2+. I did go to local vendors and listened to high-end Velodynes/Klipshs and asked salespeople pointed questions on SVS. All had great things to say about SVS--all knew about SVS and were careful in comparing their product to SVS.
    The unit is big but would fit in nicely anywhere--you can put things on it vs the outstanding cylinder subs SVS is famous for. The finish is a quality, black, hard to damage service. Has an auto feature that turns it on and off when bass signals are present. Takes two people to move the unit around though. You would expect weight with something of quality.
    As mentioned, equally important is service. SVS backs their stuff. I had problems with UPS. No problem, SVS took care of the the problem with minimal disruption to me. Had me another unit out in days.
    You can pay more but why? Read the reviews. They're definitely not wrong. You can't go wrong with any of the SVS products.

Strengths:
    Service, quality, power, and ease of set-up. SVS goes the extra mile. Immediately after opening the superb packaging, you know this is quality stuff. Comes set on a quality pallet looking thing, surrounded by quality padding. The delivery is flawless--the guy even helped me move the unit into the house. Power is endless and you can tune the unit three ways by blocking or unblocking three ports with supplied plugs--easy to do.

Weaknesses:
    None that I can find. Impossible to find anything close at around $1,199. Velodyne, Klipsh, JBL, and others watch out. The word's getting out.

Similar Products Used:
    My 1st true sub but have done extensive research prior to going with SVS. Visited all the high-end home/theater stores in the Washing DC, Northern Virginia area. I've listened to the "really expensive" subs, they don't sound as good or appear as high-quality as the SVS PB2+. Why did I go with SVS and wasn't it risky? Maybe a little risky but only because I wasn't familiar with SVS, but read the reviews, read the reviews. You can't go wrong.

5. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

thanks guys,
    i think i'll go out and listen to a pw2200 (my system is paradigm reference + 3802, with an 8" 100w toy sub), see the price on that, and decide.
    i really like the white finish on the pb-1 ( easier on other, strange, not ht lovers, walking through my living room...), so the desicion might be not that hard!
    cheers!
    [​IMG]