Buying suggestions for CV51.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shridhar K, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Shridhar K

Shridhar K Auditioning

Gang!,
    Finally I've decided that I for a Panny CV51. I've read a lot about it, on this forum, and I'm really tempted to buy one. I had visited some of the local stores here in Dallas, TX, but was not able to get this particlar model. There's one store in Dalals, Parker/Preston, called Tweeter. They are selling this particular model for $248.00. I have seen this same model on www.moreaudiovideo.com for $206.00.
    I'm little bit confused as to where to get this DVD from, cuz I'm little worried to buy DVD equipment over the web. I was wondering if any of you guys would be suggest me a good place to get this puppy.
    Your suggestions in this regards would be really appreciated.
    Thanks for your help and time.
    - shridhar -
    Soon We See See We 51 (VC CV51)

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I have bought a Denon CDM-370 cd player from more audio video and also bough many items from my local tweeter. Both sellers were very satisfactory. I'd recommend giving your local dealer the chance to earn your business first before buying online though. Go into Tweeter and ask them if they can match your price from MAV or at least come close. If so, buy it there. If not, go the online route. I've had better luck with Tweeter if you ask for the department manager before asking about anything. That way, they don't have to figure a salesman's commission into the final matched price. Good Luck with your search!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on August 06, 2001 at 10:59 PM]

3. JorgeN

JorgeN Extra

Your safest best is to deal with authorized Panasonic retailers or e-tailers. Go to Panasonic.com and look for the model you want. Then you can search for a dealer and see if there is a store near your area who is an authorized dealer.
    If you go the way of e-tailers, then I suggest JandR.com
    J&R Music World is a electronics super store in NYC, and my parents just happened to buy the CV51 for my birthday this coming weekend. My parents who don't often buy electronics, said they were amazed by the size of the store, and also by the helpfulness of the staff. They bought the player for $229.99 which is $20 cheaper than every other place I have seen here on Long Island.
    You will always take a chance when you buy anything electronic from a store or e-store. Narrow your search down to a few e-stores, and then go to the better business bureau website to do some research. I was going to order the CV51 from eCost.com, and then I went to the better business bureau as an afterthought to check them for customer satisfaction. How happy was I to discover that they also do business under other names (one being PC MALL), and that there was some customer dissatisfaction reports. Some people received defective merchandise and then had to fork over additional money to ship the item back. No way!! Chances are that you are better off getting it from a place you can walk into in the event you do have problems!!
    I ramble as much just to make sure that you can deal with a store that will be able to handle your dissatisfaction in the event that you don't like the CV51 and wish to return it.
    Good luck, and happy DVDing.
    [Edited last by JorgeN on August 07, 2001 at 06:09 AM]
    [Edited last by JorgeN on August 07, 2001 at 06:09 AM]

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jorge may have the perfect middle of the road solution, buy from J&R. I have bought many items from them in the past and every transaction went perfectly. Their price on the CV-51 is $229.99+. They also have the RP61K for $269.99+, and the RP-56 for $229.99+.
    Still, if you can buy it from Tweeter for $230, or so, I'd get it there.
    Good Luck!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

5. Shridhar K

Shridhar K Auditioning

Guys!,
    Thanks for you input, I should be getting my CV51 from Tweeter over the weekend.
    - shridhar -