What's new

buying stuff... wisely? (1 Viewer)

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
well, here's another dilemma...

my friend could import me a denon receiver for about $300 canadian cheaper than any stores here in Toronto. But I was thinking, it'd be a humongous hassle to deal with warrantee, and knowing how I don't have any experience with HT stuff, the question is:

would I benefit from buying the receiver in a local store? trade off being an extra $300.

second question is related,

would I benefit from buying speakers from a local store rather than having my friend get it for me at probably 20% cheaper than anyone can provide locally?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
The answer depends on how patient you are and how much hassle you can handle, and what your batting average is in terms of experiencing Murphy's Law.

I go local because it gives me the opportunity to exchange something if things go wrong (and believe me, they can). Especially for loudspeakers, you want to hear them in the shop and be able to return them if they don't sound good at home.

The extra $300 is an insurance policy that, when all is said and done, is probably worth it. Imagine all the shipping costs and import duty (?) hassles if things go wrong with imported equipment.

Go local, definitely to a small audio shop and not some franchise outlet.

-JNS

Martice

Screenwriter
With speakers I would hop on a deal like that in a minute. However, with electronics, more can go wrong and a lot of the times will. Go with the "insurance policy" as suggested earlier.

Your receiver is the brain of your system. Don't skimp on the brains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks