What's new

Buying Sony Plasma KDE-50XS955 (1 Viewer)

SteveRo

Auditioning
been a lurker for awhile now...got some great advice regarding my polk speakers and onkyo receiver...just can't seem to pull the trigger now on a plasma TV...

through a family member who works at CC, i can get a $2000 discount on a sony KDE-50XS955 50" plasma screen TV...i've done the comparisons with the sony XBR and the panasonics, and like this set. so, instead of the list price of $7000, i can get it for $5000.

i'm curious to what others think...also, what cables would suffice (CC sales guys are always trying to get me to buy the monster surge supressor, etc.)...through my family member, i can get them for about 50% off.

thanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
$5000 is a good price for that set. From what I have read, the Sony is as good as it gets.

If you are asking whether you should get Monster cables the answer is no, they are not worth the extra money. Same thing on surge supressors. Monster is overpriced. You should use a decent supressor of some kind. If you have cable, get a supressor that has cable input and output also.

SteveRo

Auditioning
thanks, arthur. that's what i thought re: the cables, etc; i might be able to get them for a good price none the less....any other opinions out there re: the sony....

SteveRo

Auditioning
i think i can get the 42" for $3200-$3400...but, in general, is the sony XS955 worth it, etc...i guess i'm just looking for some reassurance before i shell out a lotta cash...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Only worth it, if it is worth it to you....

Your the only one that matters. Many would say get a 42" Panny ED panel and call it done, so to them, it would not be worth it.

HD Plasma has it's advantages and the Sony is a great higher end unit. So if that is what you want, of course it is totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.