What's new

Buying software license used? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have a friend who purchased a piece of somewhat-expensive software, later to find that he did not need it. He has offered to sell the program to me at a discount.

However- since the software in question isn't offered in the standard CD based install method, rather it is downloaded and unlocked with a registration key... this would simply involve sales of the Registration number to me.

I'm curious about the legalities of such a license transfer. Can I purchase his Reg number legally and use it as long as he is no longer using it? Should I register formally with the manufacturer and have his registration "formally" transferred to me, or is this even an issue? Will this reg number work with future updated versions of the software.

I know it's in the companies best interest to sell me a new version of the program, so I didn't know if they frowned upon transferring software licenses.

-Vince

It's all in the End User License Agreement your friend 'signed' when he installed the software or bought the license.
Generally though, companies will let you transfer licenses as long as the part in question was not an OEM part. Of course, your friend would have to delete all copies of the software, including backups, and delete all copies of the registration code.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks