buying RPTV from Best Buy online?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

I have shopped every retailer around my area. I have decided I liked the picture on the Samsung 55" HCM 5525W the best and its also one of the lowest priced sets out there. I will say I did find better TV's but they were also twice as much. I did not think the picture was twice as good. I also thought the Samsung offered a better picture then the name brands budget sets.
    If I buy locally from Best Buy I can get it for $2,088 but would then have to pay 8.7% sales tax. As far as I can tell if I buy it from Best Buy online I can bypass the sales tax. If I have a problem with the set I can return it to any Best Buy store. Its sounds pretty safe bet to me. Shipping something that size makes me nervous but then you have to ask yourself how did it get to the store?
    As soon as I get my pay increase at work the set will be ordered[​IMG] Should be tomorrow [​IMG]
    Chris

2. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Before you buy it from BB online check & make sure you don't have to pay the sales tax. In my state & most of them the law reads if the mail order merchant has a store in the state they are shipping too they must charge the sales tax. That was one of the complaints awhile back that Sears had about on-line outfits being able to not charge sales tax & they had to because they had stores in all 50 states. You might also want to check J&R for the Samsung & see what kind of a price you can get out of them.

4. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hey Bill,

5. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

Just to let you know, Onecall has the HCM553WX for $2069 with shipping included. The problem is that I know they won't deliver it to your basement without an extra charge, it's curbside delivery that's included. When I was shopping for my TV the white glove delivery service from onecall was going to be around $150, but that was up two flights of stairs to bring it to the third floor.

6. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hey Evan,

7. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

8. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

There is no reason to believe that if something will fail, it will do so in the first 30 days or one year or whatever. I'd like to find out where that myth started. If something - home electronics or otherwise - is faulty right from the manufacturer, then certainly it's more likely to fail fairly quickly. But nothing other than wine becomes better with age... EVERYTHING you buy -- particularly electronics -- gets more likely to break the longer you own it, period.

As far as extended warranties go, they are only as good as the company you purchase them from. A BB warranty might be a good idea, a warranty from some internet company that may have started up last month and be out of "business" by Xmas, in my opinion, is not. But then again, I wouldn't by something like a big screen from a faceless online company anyway, so I wouldn't have to face the question.

9. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

best buy will cover cleanings if you say "My tv does not look as good as when i first got it. Can you send someone over to take a look?" Because it is a PERFORMANCE plan and makes sure the performance is 100%. They won't just clean a tv for you if you want it cleaned, you have to tell them that it doesnt look good.

10. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

This is a major bummer. Onecall is located in Spokane Washington. I live in Seattle Washington so they would have to charge me sales tax. Other then J&R Onecall is the only other online retailer that can be trusted for online RPTV deliveries. I am sure others are good but that is what I have found here.

I might as well pick it up locally. I can wheel it into my home theater room and set it up myself but I really would need them to deliver into my basement. If I get the 18 months same as cash deal then the $200 tax charge is not a big deal really.

Chris