Buying Refurbished

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by chadA, Apr 13, 2006.

1. chadA

chadA Auditioning

I'm looking at buying the Onkyo HT-S780. I noticed it is 350 refurbished on the their site and around 450 and up retail. Just wondering what everyone thought about refurbished products from Onkyo or refurbished products period. Thanks for any info.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's a close call but at a difference of $100 I would buy the new one. Onkyo is notorious for making receivers that last for decades at a time so I really don't think that you can go wrong with either choice.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When it comes to refurb receivers and amps, no problem. I'm a little more leery of DVD or CD players refurb unless the price is great, but for HTiBs, I'd probaby lean towards new as Carl mentioned.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Well, I have a refurbed SP 4805, which basically means that the thing was practically stripped down and rebuilt by Infocus. I inspected the inside of the lamp cavity when I got it and everything, including the color wheel, had been cleaned and/or replaced to perfection and it's in perfect working order.

The guy told me that most PJ's need to be refurbished because the color wheel gets increasingly whiney over time and there really isn't any way to avoid it, it just goes with the territory of owning a projector, so it's a common problem and the guys who rebuild these things have it down to a science.

So, my point is, there's nothing wrong with refurbs, but be weary of what the malfunction was and why it needed to be refurbed in the first place, if you can find out that is, if it's because of a serious problem that is likely to happen again I would, obviously, skip it.

With Infocus, they have such a good warrenty plan that you can pretty much run their PJ's until your hearts content and then, when the inevitable color wheel whine begins, send it back for an exchange, i've done it twice now, and this time they sent me the 4805 to replace the X1.

5. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I often buy refurbished and the most important deciding factor is usually warranty for the refurbished product compared to warranty for new. Is the refurbished warranty offered by a reputable company? Is the additional warranty with a new product worth the additional cost? Refurbished seems the better deal about half the time. I haven't had many problems with refurbished products but I did just get a refurbished Pioneer DV-588A DVD player that died with the first DVD-Audio disc and I can't figure out how to get the disc out with no service center anywhere near me. Shipping the player out for warranty service with the disc inside isn't something I look forward to doing but I have no choice.

Chris

6. SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ Stunt Coordinator

Just so you know, I have bought a set of 5.1 speakers from Onkyo website refurb. There was supposed to be some cosmetic problem, that I couldn't find. I have had them for 3 years now, not a single bit of problem. Great speakers and their receivers are supposed to be top notch too. I would risk it.

7. ronaldF

ronaldF Auditioning

I haven't even looked at any replies on this before I responded to this. I hope I haven't put my foot in my mouth. But; I just bought the same unit at $300-plus $.06 to ship to California. I hope you didn't pay that much for a refur'd. I got it at "6th Ave.com"- on line. I figure that if you can get a new one for a cheaper price than that, get a new one! I think I got an extra 3 yrs on an extended warranty, that would make 4 total under warranty. Hope it helps. I just love this unit. It sounds so good! Almost unbelievable. Hope you get one..

8. ronaldF

ronaldF Auditioning

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the HT-S790! Which is what I [​IMG] got.

9. HT-EXT

HT-EXT Agent

I recently purchase a Monster Power supply that was refurbished. I called Monster to verify the warranty and question him on the refurbished issue. He might have been "BSing" me but when items are return for whatever reason the company has a choice of reselling the item as B-stock, used, or refurbished. Of course they can not sell as new so they haft to make it seem as consumer friendly as possible. If it is labeled refurbished it makes the consumer feel the item as been overhauled and as good as new. Don't get me wrong I am sure some items are repaired and tested to certain standards before being resold. Now on the flip side some items could been damaged, hit by power surge, etc. You might be taken a chance but thats life and I have more than a few refurbs intergraded into my system and are pleased with all. Use your best jugdement but I would be hard press not to buy a new one for just a $100 more. Good Luck.

HT-EXT