Buying Refurbished Products

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JarodJSchultz, Dec 24, 2003.

1. JarodJSchultz

JarodJSchultz Auditioning

Any advice on this? Anybody had good or bad experience with buying discounted products this way?

Thanks in advanced, Jarod
    I hope everyone has a GREAT Christmas...

2. John S

John S Producer

I have bought many refurbed / factory renewed / "B" Stock stuff in the past, I seem to have better luck with it, than new even.

This year, nearly every present, and Audio / Video product I purchased was refurb / renewed / "B" Stock.

It all so far has panned out most excellent for me.

I even upgraded to HDTV and bought a refurbed Philips 60" CRT RPTV, and am thrilled with the purchase so far, going on almost a month now with it.

I installed two fairly extensive HT rooms with Onkyo SR-501's from ecost with what I would call amazing performance results for the money spent.

3. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

My first refurb was a Harman Audio DVD player. It started behaving weird, they told me to send it back, they paid the shipping both ways and I got another that works flawlessly. Saved $250. Cool. They were very responsive to the problem. I have since bought this way and not had any more issues- HOWEVER, I only deal with reputable firms.

4. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

Quote:
    HOWEVER, I only deal with reputable firms.
    could you name some reputable firms?

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I have purchased refurbished equipment with no problems whatsoever. I purchased a refurbished Xbox from Gamestop and various refurbished products from Fry's Electronics and www.outpost.com. All have worked great and are still in service. Remember, not all "Refurbished" products were broken and returned and then "refurbished." Some were products where the box was opened and then the unused product was returned to the store/manufacturer. These "open box" items are inspected and repackaged by the store/manufacturer and sold as "refurbished" since they can't be sold as new per FTC regs. Go ahead and get refurbished items, all mine were like new when bought. The original "as new" warranty usually applies to "refurbished" items too.

6. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Onecall.com

Got a refurb Onkyo TX-SR700 for $450 shipped 3-day FedEx, great service, ordered on a Monday afternoon, I had it on Wednesday. Unit said it had "minor cosmetic defects" but if there were, I couldn't find any. Chances are they (Onkyo) replaced whatever part was scuffed. Full 1-yr factory warranty, unit works great.

High recc. for Onecall here.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Harman/Kardon seems to be very reputable in terms of problems and fixing them promptly. I've also found Mitsubishi, Philips, and Samsung all to be very responsive and prompt in responsive to the problem.

8. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I'd avoid some of Best Buy's "Open Box" merchandise. I bought a Pioneer DVD player there that had a widely known defect in play back. It was returned by somebody else. The price I paid was good, but the defect was there, so I returned it. If it seems to work okay to a kid in the store, it goes back on the shelf. There was no loss to me other than in my time, but I noticed after a couple days when I went back in the store that "my" defective DVD player was back on the shelf again for sale to the next unsuspecting sap.

Generally, I think B-stock or factory refurbished products are a great deal.

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    All from CC last January. H/K 520 for $299. H/K 8380 for $99. and H/K CDR 20 for $49. That's right $49.! Plus $26. for the remote and manual for the CDR from H/K CSC. Thats abuot $1400 worth of stuff for $500. All off the shelf and no problems yet (knock on aluminum). Gene P.S. Just got an Onkyo HT-R500 factory refurb from PCMALL.com for $119. with free shipping.

10. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a H/K AVR225 for $224.99 USD.... I couldn't be happier, in my country a unit would cost $1092.** all said and done, cost to my door was $382.**.

My Advice:

Go Refurb whenever you can. There might be the odd occasion where you end up with problems with some peice of equipment because of it but the same thing will happen with new items out of the box. Bottom line you get way better equipment than you can normally afford [​IMG] and that is just awesome [​IMG] When I think that I saved about 60% on my receiver ... it just makes me want to buy more Refurb products ..

have owned:
    Refurb Phones
    Receiver
    CD Player
    Television

I had a problem with a phone I bought once, but I just went back and switched it for another, no problems since.

11. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

My buddy was looking for a new receiver with DTS, and was initially looking at a Sony 595???, or something like that. Found him an Onkyo 501 off of ecost fro about $185 shipped, and he could tell the difference immediately. Thing arrived in "new" condition.

12. Marco_Chicago

Marco_Chicago Auditioning

I got the Onkyo TX-SR501 off ecost myself and although it was labelled as "minor cosmetic defect" I cant find a flaw on it. So far so good. Lets not even talk about the sound...soooo clean and smooth[​IMG] By far the best receiver under $200.

13. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Marco,

My thoughts exactly...couldn't agree more.