Buying refurbished dvd players?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kenny A, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Kenny A

Kenny A Stunt Coordinator

How do you guys feel about buying refurbished dvd players online from an authorized dealer? Denon, sony, pioneer. I am considering this but I am a little skeptical. Do you think I will have any problems? Which would you all buy:
    Denon 1815 or Denon 1200?
    Thanks, Kenny

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Unless the player is a really high end model for a significant discount, I would not buy a refurbished player. Given the low cost of high quality progressive scan players these days it just isn't worth it at the low to mid range of players. I bought a Samsung HD DVD841 a couple of months ago which is an upscaling player with DVI output and SADC playback capabilities for less than what I bought a non-progressive scan Panasonic DVD player 2 years ago.

3. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I agree with Chuck, I wouldn't really consider buying a refurbished entry level DVD player. You won't save much and you get a much shorter warranty.

OTOH, higher end units can be a great deal. If you want a quality universal player and don't need DVI, a refurbed Denon 2900 or 5900 can be a great bargain.

4. Kenny A

Kenny A Stunt Coordinator

Chuck and Dan I appreciate the input. I am looking to spend around $200.00. Which player do you all feel would be the best bang for the buck and the best quality for my price.
    Thanks, Kenny

5. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, I really like my Samsung. I think the weak spot in this is the lack of a Faroudja chip, but I can't doubt my eyes when I see the excellent picture it delivers on my TV. There are other upscaling players out there, but I settled on the Sammy because of the ability to playback DVD-A and SACD. I have only one SACD at the moment, Carol King's "Tapestry" but I also have the regular stereo CD of this title and the difference is amazing. Be warned though, quite a few SACD titles are in stereo only. I always make sure that the label on the SACD says "multi-channel." There has been talk of the Samsung having a "black crush" issue where blacks sometimes look grey, but the blacks look fine on my RCA 40" HD RPTV. I really don't think you will go wrong getting a player from a reputable manufacturer, Sony, Panasonic, Denon, etc. You are however limited by your budget of 200 bucks. I got mine for less than 190 bucks at Circuit City.

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Are you looking for a basic DVD player, or a universal player that will also allow you to listen to SACD and DVD-Audio disks, in addition to watching DVD-Video disks?

For a basic player with good video quality, the Denon 1910 is probaly one of the best at your price point and the 1710 can be had for less than $175. For an entry level universal player, the Pioneer DV-578 or 563 (if you can still find one) are good options.

What kind of display do you have? If you have a digital display (LCD, LCoS, DLP, etc) with DVI or HDMI inputs, you may want a player with that type of output and you may also want to consider an upconverting player.