What's new

Buying refurbished dvd players? (1 Viewer)

Kenny A

Stunt Coordinator
How do you guys feel about buying refurbished dvd players online from an authorized dealer? Denon, sony, pioneer. I am considering this but I am a little skeptical. Do you think I will have any problems? Which would you all buy:
Denon 1815 or Denon 1200?
Thanks, Kenny

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Unless the player is a really high end model for a significant discount, I would not buy a refurbished player. Given the low cost of high quality progressive scan players these days it just isn't worth it at the low to mid range of players. I bought a Samsung HD DVD841 a couple of months ago which is an upscaling player with DVI output and SADC playback capabilities for less than what I bought a non-progressive scan Panasonic DVD player 2 years ago.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I agree with Chuck, I wouldn't really consider buying a refurbished entry level DVD player. You won't save much and you get a much shorter warranty.

OTOH, higher end units can be a great deal. If you want a quality universal player and don't need DVI, a refurbed Denon 2900 or 5900 can be a great bargain.

Kenny A

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck and Dan I appreciate the input. I am looking to spend around $200.00. Which player do you all feel would be the best bang for the buck and the best quality for my price.
Thanks, Kenny

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, I really like my Samsung. I think the weak spot in this is the lack of a Faroudja chip, but I can't doubt my eyes when I see the excellent picture it delivers on my TV. There are other upscaling players out there, but I settled on the Sammy because of the ability to playback DVD-A and SACD. I have only one SACD at the moment, Carol King's "Tapestry" but I also have the regular stereo CD of this title and the difference is amazing. Be warned though, quite a few SACD titles are in stereo only. I always make sure that the label on the SACD says "multi-channel." There has been talk of the Samsung having a "black crush" issue where blacks sometimes look grey, but the blacks look fine on my RCA 40" HD RPTV. I really don't think you will go wrong getting a player from a reputable manufacturer, Sony, Panasonic, Denon, etc. You are however limited by your budget of 200 bucks. I got mine for less than 190 bucks at Circuit City.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Are you looking for a basic DVD player, or a universal player that will also allow you to listen to SACD and DVD-Audio disks, in addition to watching DVD-Video disks?

For a basic player with good video quality, the Denon 1910 is probaly one of the best at your price point and the 1710 can be had for less than $175. For an entry level universal player, the Pioneer DV-578 or 563 (if you can still find one) are good options.

What kind of display do you have? If you have a digital display (LCD, LCoS, DLP, etc) with DVI or HDMI inputs, you may want a player with that type of output and you may also want to consider an upconverting player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WavyJawn
Recent bookmarks