What's new

buying RAM from EBay? (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I have a Dell P3 1.0 GHz system. I can't remember off the top of my head if I have 256 MB of RAM or 512. Regardless, I was thinking of adding another 512. I see online the PC133 SDRAM chips are going for about $75, but on Ebay they are only $40 or so. Do you guys feel pretty comfortable about buying RAM this way? I'm a little wary, though the price is very attractive...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I would feel OK about it, as long as it was name brand RAM (i.e. Corsair, Crucial, PNY, etc). RAM is pretty durable and long-lasting. The prices on PC133 do suck these days.

If you are running 512MB now, I don't think an extra 512 would help much (are you running XP, 98 ?). But if you are at 256 you would definitely benefit from upgrading a bit.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'm running Windows XP. I'll have to check my RAM tonight. Is there a way to find out what mobo I am using without opening the case? Is it in Control Panel->System?

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Your Dell should have a Service tag on it (maybe on the side). You can go to www.dell.com and type in the service tag number, that should provide you with a page with the original specs of your computer, including the mobo.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dell computers require specific RAM chips. You need to make sure the RAM you're looking at is the right type for your computer.

(I've got a Dell P3 450. I added more memory a few years ago. I bought it from Crucial, which has a nice configurator.)

By they way, I'd love to find a 1Ghz CPU to upgrade my machine. Ever see any SECC (Slot 1) 1 GHz chips on E-bay?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Download the tiny app from Belarc.com and it will tell you almost EVERY detail about what's in your PC.

Alfer

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'm glad I checked the Crucial site that DaveF linked to - my Dimension 4100 can only have 512 MB of RAM and that is indeed what I am at. Man, I need to upgrade this system :).

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I had a bad experience buying RAM off of eBay. It wasn't what was advertised. I never had the situation resolved to my satisfaction and ended up with a useless stick sitting in a drawer. Not to say you'll have the same problem, but IMO you should never buy anything from eBay if it would be a big deal for you to just lose your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks