Buying plane tickets when you don't know when you are traveling?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Seth G, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Seth G

Seth G Stunt Coordinator

So here is my story. My brother is going to having his first child in less than a month. I need to be there 8 days after the birth for the bris, but obviously I don't know when that is going to be. So just wondering if anyone has any suggestions out there on how to go about buying plane tickets when I don't know when I'm going to be traveling. Should I just wait until the birth to buy plane tickets and pay the price? Should I buy them now and try to transfer them when the time comes? Anyone have any comments about travel insurance? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

And yes, I am freaked out about becoming an uncle, but that's besides the point. [​IMG]

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    An option is to wait until the week of the flight and use Travelocity's short-notice deal finder. I've used this several times and paid normal fares for flights on five days notice.

3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Well, if you buy a refundable ticket you can change it for free, but that won't really let you do what you want.

Where are you flying to and from? Sometimes buying less than 1 week in advance isn't that much more than buying say 1 month in advance.

I travel a lot for work, and I know that most of the flights are always very close to the same price whether I'm booking 5 days out, or 3 weeks.

4. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I can't answer your question, but mazel tov to your brother and his family.

5. Seth G

Seth G Stunt Coordinator

Chicago (either Midway or Ohare) to Raleigh/Durham.

We looked around a lot last night, and it seems Southwest has the best prices for refundable tickets.

But I think you guys are right. After looking around, it seems we're best off just waiting and buying at the last minute. It might not work out for the best, but I think we'll be able to find something.

Thanks for the input.

Oh, and if anyone is interestd, a refundable ticket from American only costs a measly $3 grand. [​IMG]

6. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Southwest has pretty good prices even for walk up tickets. I am an "elitist" though and won't fly Southwest.

YMMV