buying new speakers :)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by justin bendel, Aug 6, 2006.

1. justin bendel

i currently have a harman kardan av 130 reciever with a paradigm sub and 2 jbl e80s in my 13x10x8 room
    if i was to upgrade my jbls in the near future and maybe spend around 600 bucks, what are some good options?
    ive read great things about ascends, deffinitive technology, and axiom speakers
    more often then not i listen to music, home theater isnt as important to me.
    id like to not upgrade for a long time after these either

thanks jt

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Ascends are bright, Deffinitive is very good for theater not so much for music, Axiom is hailed as being a very good deal, though I have not heard them. Magnepan mmg is something to consider for music listening on a budget. It is Magnepan's least expensive speaker ($550) direct from Magnepan. It is a Magneplaner design that used a very thin Mylar panel to produce sound. These speakers are not convention box speakers they are flat panels. Paradigm Monitors are something else to consider in this price range.

Seth

3. justin bendel

thanks seth your the greatest!
    it seems like every speaker out there recieves its share of accolades
    that makes it difficult to decide
    you think ill notice a decent difference from the jbl e80s?

4. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Ascends are bright? You are the ONLY person that I have seen to say that. Which Ascends have you heard am just curious??? No pun intended just would appreciate if you would elaborate a bit more for clarification purposes.

5. ryan.p

ryan.p Stunt Coordinator

Justin that room is not very big at all. I would think a good quality bookshelf with your sub would fill that room quite nicely. If you can spend a bit more money the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's would do a great job. That is, the 20's are very musical and are very good with home theater applications as well. Many also claim that the Ascend CBM-170 is also very good if not better than the Studio 20. My advice is to audition audition audition and sooner or later you will hear the "one" that is right for you and provided it is within your budget. Good luck in your decision.

6. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Don't forget to try av123.com and see what they have in your price range. Lots of stuff thats quality! Also call and see what they may have in B stock and you might save a bunch. Good luck which ever you get.