What's new

Buying new RPTV on a budget - please help! (1 Viewer)

Joe.Hutch

Auditioning
Greetings!

I've decided to replace the family room TV (an old Toshiba 30" tube) with a widescreen RPTV. My problem - I'm on a budget - the TV must cost below $1800. This makes it much more interesting...DLP/LCD is out of my price range.

We sit about 8-10' away from the screen - so larger is better. There is ambient light from the windows in the family room, so front projection is out. The tv will be used for standard cable (50%), DVD movies (30%), and video games (20%). HDTV cable will be available in 6 months or so....

Based on my research at bestbuy (not the greatest, but I've always had good service from our local store), I have come up with the following possibilities:

Samsung HCN-5527W
JVC AV56WP74
Panasonic PT-53WX53
Toshiba 51H83

I want a screen at least 50" - smaller than that does not look like much of an improvement over the 30" 4:3 tube. Unfortunately, I can't afford to go to 57" or better.

Some questions I have are:
1) Reliability is important to me. I plan on purchasing the extended warranty. I have had reliability issues with Toshiba equipment in the past, so I am leery about purchasing Toshiba equipment - does anyone else care to comment on this?
2) How important is 720p? All of these sets do 480i/p, and 1080i. Is the xbox the only device that broadcasts in 720p?
3) Screen resolution. Some of these unit specify a maximim of 1000 horizontal lines (Samsung), while others are at 1200 horizontal lines (JVC). Usually more is better....is this true here?
4) comb filter - 3d digital vs. 3d y/c digital - any real improvement from one over the other?
5) Motion compensation - the samsung does not have it - how important is this?

Thank you for your consideration - in at least reading this far!!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
2) How important is 720p? All of these sets do 480i/p, and 1080i. Is the xbox the only device that broadcasts in 720p?
Most sets will upconvert 720p to 1080i. This is a plus. Check this in the sets you are considering (I know the Toshiba does this).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks