Buying new comp speakers...need some help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ryan Satriani, May 10, 2005.

1. Ryan Satriani

I want to buy some new computer speakers with my new system, because the ones gateway supplied suck really bad. I was thinking about the Altec lansing 2.1 speakers shown here.

Altec Speakers

or the Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 speakers. I have 5.1 capability but I mostly listen to music on my computer, I don't do that much gaming and I do alot of audio editing. Which speakers would sound the best for what I do? I'm just not sure if the 5.1 setup would sound the best with music, but it would be cool to have 5.1 for watching dvd's.

Creative Labs Speakers

2. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    What sound card do you have?

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Look at the Klipsch computer speakers also. They have both 2.1 and 5.1 setups and are highly regarded, although somewhat expensive.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ditto seth.

i just bought the klipsch promedia 2.1 system. you will not believe the amount of bass that thing pumps out. plus the satellites are nice and clear.

i'm completely happy with them.

5. Ryan Satriani

My sound card is an Intel High Definition 5.1 card. I'm looking in the range of 50 - 80 bucks.

6. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you check on ebay you might find the Klipsch 2.1 setup in your price range.

7. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

In addition to the Klipsch line of speakers, you may want to consider Logitech's offerings as well. The Z-1 line is a 2.1 configuration, which is well within your budget. There are also 4.1, 5.1 and 6.1 configuartions with low starting bids on eBay as well. I still prefer the Klipsch ProMedia line of speakers (the Logitechs are pretty good, speaking as a Z-560 owner). You can audition both manufacturers at Best Buy, to determine which one better suits your needs.

8. Ryan Satriani

So would you guys recommend the 5.1 systems or the 2.1?

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you plan on watching movies and playing surround-sound capable games, then go 5.1. otherwise 2.1 (for just general listening and music) will suffice.

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'd certainly recommend the 5.1 (in the Klipsch series you're getting the exact same speakers, just more of them, so your music quality will not suffer). However, you won't get a very good 5.1 system in your current budget.

11. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

5.1 is nice - if you up the budget to the point where you get a good 5.1 system.

If your budget is what it is and won't change, then much better to get a decent 2.1 system over a bad 5.1.

Logitech makes pretty nice speakers. I have a set of Z-560's (4.1 speakers) myself and they are pretty enjoyable.