Buying new amp, concerned about speaker max input power

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Mig, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

I think I have decided that I want a Sunfire Cinema Grand which is rated at 200 Wx5 with all channels driven. I have Paradigm studio series speakers, 100's, 20's, and center. My concern is that the specs for the 20's say suitable amplifier range is 15-150w, and the center is 15-175w. There is also a maximum power input value listed which is 100w for the 20's and 130w for the center. So I am wondering if the Cinema Grand would be overkill wasted power or just damage the speakers. If this is the case I would consider the Sunfire Stereo Amp for just the 100's, which wouldn't be sunch a bad choice either. All input is welcome.

Mike

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Should be no problem at all. The amp is not going to deliver 200w continuously, unless you turn it all the way up.

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Mike, your speakers will have no trouble with the sunfires watts, provided you dont turn the volume up to max[​IMG]
    Actually its the other way around. With a less powerful amp it will reach its limit and distort quicker causing possible damamge to you speakers. With a more powerful amp you dont have to worry about this.
    Can you use the power, hell ya[​IMG] It really depends on what the sensitivity of your speakers are as to how much of a difference you might actually hear. Maybe somebody who knows the sensitivity ratings of those particular speakers can answer that part of your question..hope this helps

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Studio 20's are rated at 89db.

Buy the Sunfire. Trust me...your music/HT will never sound better. I have a 200WPC amp hooked up to mine with no problem whatsoever. Like they said, unless you go all the way with the volume the speaker will handle the watts with ease.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Mike,

At one meter away from the speakers if your sensitivity is 89db:

1watt: 89db

2watt: 92db

4watt: 95db

8watt: 98db

16watt: 101db

32watt: 104db

64watt: 107db

128watt: 110db

Unless you listen at extremely high volume levels you should hit reference(105db) with only 64watts

Kevin

6. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Kevin. W: There's one important factor you didn't mention. Distance. I forget what the exact formula

is, but for every extra yard you back away from the speakers after the first yard, you need more power

to get to reference level volume at your listening position.

Perhaps someone who knows what affect distance from the speakers has on volume can post

the formula.

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

8. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You lose 6 dB for each doubling of distance. (Decibel loss = 20*log(1/distance[meters]). So, if you sit 3 meters (10 feet) from your speakers you'll lose about 9 dB. But then there's also boundary gain (reflected sound from your room) which will add something like 2-4 dB especially if you sit far away from the speakers and/or near walls. So I'd say your overall sensitivity is something like 83 dB at the listening position, meaning you might be running into peaks of over 100 watts at reference level.

Either way, you're definitely not in danger. I'm sure the Paradigms can handle plenty of clean power, especially the 100s (the center and surrounds don't get as much power anyways. Especially if you run them small which you should.) And with 200 watts you're unlikely to clip the amp. So go ahead, I'm sure that setup will rock.