Buying new A/V receiver, need advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeff Kelley, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Jeff Kelley

Jeff Kelley Extra

Buying new receiver, looking at Denon AVR 3805, Pioneer VSX-56TXi or Yamaha RXv-2500 . Any advice would be great.

2. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

I like Denon a little more than Yamaha, but both are nice. I do not know much about Pioneer though.

3. Steve_L

Steve_L Stunt Coordinator

What kind of speakers are you using? What is their sensitivity rating? That will help you with your power needs.

I really like the MCACC speaker/room equalization system on the Pioneer. One could argue Pioneer leads there, if that is important to you. On the other hand, one could argue that a do it yourself calibration disk and SPL meter will serve you better. You need to think about that.

Have you bought speakers yet? I'd suggest putting a bigger chunk of change into speakers, that you are likely to have much longer than the electronics.

All of your choices in that range have excellent reputations. Some say the Denon has a "warmer" sound, (whatever that means) and that the Yammies are bright. Pioneer might be in the middle of that realm. I think so much of that has to do with the speaker and room acoustics, more than the electronics.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

all three are good choices.

tbh, i think you should decide based upon features, ergonomics, the remote, etc. i know a lot of people say one brand has some trait that differs it from the others ... but they're so close that (to me) it's a minimal factor on my purchasing decision.

really, the type of speakers you have (or choose to buy) will have much more influence on the way your system sounds.

5. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

The Denon upconverts composite and S video to component so you have only one video line to your TV. That is a big convienence.

The new 3806 adds HDMI. You then would only run two at the most.