buying new 36" flatscreen - go analog or digital

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory O, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Cory O

Cory O Auditioning

I'm fixing to buy a new TV set hopefully this weekend and upgrade from my 27". I want a 4:3 flat screen to use as the primary TV in our house. Our living room is small, so we need to stick with a tube TV. My wife and I watch about 85% digital cable, 15% DVD. After watching widescreen DVD's on a 27" TV for 2 years, we've decided we needed the extra screen. I looked at digital TV's for the longest time but started looking at the Analog Wega's because of the 16:9 mode. I started straying away from the digital sets because I heard about the complaints of watching cable through them. People were bringing them home and were disappointed in them because they showed all of the cable flaws on the screen. I know DVD's will look better on the digital set but if that's only making up 15% of my time, I'd rather have the good cable picture. Just need to know if I'm moving in the right direction for my needs!

2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Having owned a 53" HD TV for over a year and watching cable on a daily basis - go with the digital. I like Sony, but I don't know that they have fixed their uneven brightness problem. I'd look at Toshiba and Panasonic.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, call the media--I agree with Jim here! [​IMG]
    Hey, I have an FV-series WEGA, which I purchased for the 16:9 mode, and now I am seeing HD-capable direct-views selling for less than I paid. So, yes, definitely go with a prog scan-capable set. It's the future, and it's best to get a head start.