What's new

Buying Natalie Imbruglia's "White Lilies Island" today? Watch out! (1 Viewer)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Is it verified that the U.S. release has copy protection? And if so, is it one of those disc where you are guaranteed your money back? I just don't trust that fatchucks page - most of the cd's I saw were just combination data/music discs that people had problems playing.

-Dave

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Is it verified that the U.S. release has copy protection?
No, it's not; I don't know yet what the status is, that's why people should be careful.

The European release has a really tiny mention of "© 2001 Cactus Data Shield 200 by Courtesy Of Midbar Tech LTD, Tel-Aviv, Israel" on the back.

-Christian

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw the release date as today, but I had it in my hand at Tower over a week ago...maybe it was an import?

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Ok, so it still doesn't carry a CD logo or says Compact Disc anywhere, but the reference to Cactus Data Shield is not there... hopefully the US version is unprotected (like the Australian one).

-Christian

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
I could've sworn I came across an article in USA Today (or some other newspaper) a while back that said Imbruglia put up a big enough stink that the U.S. release wasn't going to have the copy protection. I could be wrong, though.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The threat of copy protection did not dissuade me from ordering her album. I will report back when I do try to rip it (so I can play it on my car's CD/MP3 deck) on my results later in the week.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
It's on sale for 40% off at CDNow, bringing it to about $10.75. Still, I might get it locally, in case I need to return. It'll be interesting to hear your report, Patrick.

-Dave

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I bought it yesterday, and I was able to rip it, play it in my portable and my DVD Player. It's the Canadian version so I don't know if it's different than the US.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doh! If you want the bonus song, "Contradictions", you have to buy the new Natalie Imbruglia album from a Target store. Grr...this burns my butt! This has happened on some of the latest CD offerings, like Diana Krall's "The Look of Love" has 2 bonus tracks, and I know the latest Charlotte Church CD has at least one bonus track. I'm tiring of the Target CD exclusives! Ack!

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
I always like to copy a CD to my hard drive at work. Makes things easier to listen to than popping CDs in and out all day. I was NOT able to copy this CD in any form or fashion. I tried many different methods and programs. It will PLAY fine in my computer and everywhere else though.

Oh, the CD was a gift, but I'm pretty sure it came from Best Buy.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I just picked up a copy at WalMart and it's not copy protected. I can play it on my laptop, and I ripped the first 4 tracks to WAV files as a test and they seem to play flawlessly.
From what I've read the copy protected version in Europe credits "CDS 200" or "Cactus Data Shield" on the back of the jewel case or on the CD itself. It also launches its own player program when you insert it in a PC. My copy is just a normal redbook CD.
This is the same protection scheme that was used in "More Fast and Furious", and in my experience with that disc track 1 won't play or rip on a PC or game console.
So the US release is definitely NOT protected, at least my copy isn't.
KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks