What's new

Buying my first house... Need help please. (1 Viewer)

mbote131

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Hello, I just joined the forum after cruising the open threads and seeing there are some knowledgeable folks here, I figured I would try to tap into the brains of people who have a much higher knowledge base than I do. I would consider myself very new to home theater, I have a current set up that is just a shade better than a big box kit that you would find at best buy. I bought it on a budget and it has worked for me but I definitely want more. I have been into car audio for the better part of 15 years and have always appreciated sound quality over sheer SPL. I do like to watch movies at high volume and listen to my music at even higher volume. I am currently in the market for a receiver, or preamp/amp set up that I would like to use in the home I am about to putt an offer on. It has a large TV room and is going to need a decent amount of sound to fill. I was considering a Rotel RSP-1098 and a Rotel RMB-1095 to start me off. I chose those mainly because I see them listed on craigslist at a price comparable (about $1300 for both) to a nice receiver. Do you think I should look to other options for that price range? I know the 1098 doesn’t have HDMI but how important is that? Any suggestions for the $1300 price range would be awesome. Thank you! Mike

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Sound quality from Rotel will be excellent. Beyond what you will find from the major Japanese players. But the lack of HDMI is a big issue to most people. The highest resolution video, and highest quality audio formats are delivered mainly though HDMI, so without it you will need a BluRay player with 7.1 outputs to send the DTS and DD Master audio to the receiver, and you'll end up bypassing the receiver for handling video.

mbote131

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Mr645 said:
Sound quality from Rotel will be excellent. Beyond what you will find from the major Japanese players. But the lack of HDMI is a big issue to most people. The highest resolution video, and highest quality audio formats are delivered mainly though HDMI, so without it you will need a BluRay player with 7.1 outputs to send the DTS and DD Master audio to the receiver, and you'll end up bypassing the receiver for handling video.
Thanks for responding. Would bypassing the receiver for video be a bad idea? I am mainly concerned with having the rotels take care of sound, as long as this option will not destroy the visual aspect. Would you say there are better options with hdmi without killing sq to much for the $1300 price range?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Mike! I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to take a moment to welcome you to HTF!

mbote131

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Steve Tannehill said:
Hi Mike! I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to take a moment to welcome you to HTF!
Thank you, happy to be here and pcik the brains of people who know much more than I do.

Real Name
Bobby Hamilton
mbote131 said:
Thanks for responding. Would bypassing the receiver for video be a bad idea? I am mainly concerned with having the rotels take care of sound, as long as this option will not destroy the visual aspect. Would you say there are better options with hdmi without killing sq to much for the $1300 price range?
I'm a big fan of some of the Pioneer Elite line, have you looked into any of those? I got a really good deal about two years ago on a VSX-23TXH and have been thrilled with it. It more than puts out for the Polk Speakers I have, and it drives my Definitive Tech sub better than my old Denon did. Are you hung up on wanting to spend a certain dollar amount? What speakers are you using with it? I'm a new poster here (was searching for something and found a thread here about it), but I'll chip in with any advice that I can.

xztplll

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
Hello, I'm very glad to find you. It's very useful. We are a professional foreign trade website,mainly engaged sale in all kinds ofnikeWelcome to buy!airmaxyou can get something that you need here,and you will find it is a good place to go dunkpascher

xztplll

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
Hello, I'm very glad to find you. It's very useful. We are a professional foreign trade website,mainly engaged sale in all kinds ofnikeWelcome to buy!airmaxyou can get something that you need here,and you will find it is a good place to go dunkpascher

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks