buying my first big screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jasen Orlovich, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Jasen Orlovich

Jasen Orlovich Auditioning

Hey guys,
    My buddy mike sent me here to post about a tv I am going to get thanksgiving weekend. I plan on getting a Mitsubishi 65" from h.h. gregg .
    Now they have tv's with the hdtv reciever built in and have some that you can hook a receiver up. does it matter wich to get? right now I do not have digital cable anyway.
    Also what else do I need to look for? I have no clue, Im not much into this stuff , but I do want to get good quality stuff. Any model numbers I need to really think about getting over another?

thanks guys,
    Jasen

2. John S

John S Producer

I just got done looking at a ton of HDTV's, with and without tuner.

All the tuners give you these days is the ability to get brodcast over the air ways HDTV.

The Mitsu's were of the best of the best as far as picture went, thus the price tag too. :)

The only other thing to really look for other than a picture you actually really like is the native supported HDTV res's. 480, 540, 720, 1080 are the one's I am see'n, the TV I went with may end up having liabilities down the road, as it is 480 and 1080 only native.

I ended up going with the cheapest one that provided me the size upgrade I was looking for with a picture I still liked.
    I spent about a month doing research and trip'n out to the brick and mortor stores before deciding. Then I got online to see how cheap I could get it for, from a dealer I felt comfortable with.

Winner..ding..ding..ding.. Philips 60PP9202 60" 4:3 set with a full res 16:9 mode, it only natively supports 480 and 1080 though, but it also came in at $1248 delivered price wise. Come'n from a large 48" 4:3 TV, the 4:3 size upgrade became a large factor for me.

Good luck on your purchase.

3. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Jasen, be sure to do a search in this area for Mitsubishi or any other topics that might interest you.

4. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

I agree that you should search around the site to read what folks say and help you figure out what features are important to you.

Also, you will probably find some value in the "Primer for Home Theater Newcomers." It is located in the post linked below.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=54755

Good luck,

Kevin

5. Jasen Orlovich

Jasen Orlovich Auditioning

Thank you very much guys,
    sorry to get back so late, had pc problems, but all good now.
    I will take your advice!

Jasen