buying laserdiscs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Albert Noel, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Albert Noel

Albert Noel Stunt Coordinator

i'm on a wicked laserdisc kick at the moment.

i like to look around on ebay for that "great deal" just like the next man, however i always seem to be out bid on *every* single auction i bid on in the last 10mins of the auction.

this is very annoying.

does anyone have any good tips for getting what i want on bay? (this isn't my primary source for laserdiscs, but i like the selection i can get on ebay)

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

3. Albert Noel

thats a good idea John.
    i hate doing that, but, if thats what i have to do to get what i want, then so be it.

4. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

Or you can just decided what the most amount of money that you are willing to pay for a given item and then bid that. If someone outbids you, no loss because you weren't willing to pay that much for it anyway.

5. GregClarke

GregClarke Stunt Coordinator

This forum is always the best place to start when looking for something.
    Check your email!

Greg

6. Albert Noel

just checked and nothing

7. Albert Noel

sorry, just checked again and it's there, i'll reply to your email

8. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    I got most of my LDs from Ebay's sister site, half.com

9. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

When I used to bid on laserdiscs, I would make a reasonable bid right after I had found an item I was interested in. When the auction was wrapping up, in its last two minutes, I would watch carefully, constantly pressing the refresh button, with a new bid ready. If a sniper tried to take it in the last few seconds, I would be ready, and since the sniping software worked in increments of $1, it wouldn't have enough time to generate enough increments to outbid me.

By putting in an early bid, I was serving notice that I was interested in the item, which dealt with the ethical issues of sniping. However, to win any of these auctions, I had to counter the techniques of the snipers, by doing the same.

Edit: Another technique I used one time (for the Flashdance LD) was to use another, less popular auction service (Yahoo auctions). It worked, and I got a copy for $10 + shipping, without having to snipe.

RD

10. Ian Currie

Ian Currie Stunt Coordinator

Albert - I sent you an email as well.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

How can you search for LDs on half .com?
    They have a pull doen for DVDs and VHS only?
    I see to get everything or nothing

12. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I've been giving my LDs away as I replace them on DVD. There are several stores in Seattle that sell used LDs CHEAP! Try your local pawn shops and used record stores and even bookstores like Half Priced Books.

13. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Larry: I sure wished I knew what those Seattle stores still selling LD's were when I was out there in August. I did find Scarecrow but I didn't find anything to buy (it's hard for me as my collection is so large, I almost always already have it).

Also - there is nothing unethical about sniping - I do it all the time. If you don't snipe, you will end up paying more over the long haul.

14. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Albert,

Email me with your wants. I still have a couple hundred laserdiscs and possibly I can help you out with a few of your needs.

Gary

15. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Is there a place (basics forumsor SW archive???) were people can list stores that still carry LDs in there area? So few stores carry them now it would be great to have a list like that.
    3 in the SF Bay Area thast I know of
    Laser City (South SF - near SFO)
    Amoeba - SF - Berkley & Hollywood)
    Rasputins (several East bay store)
    The Tower outlet store near Pac BEll Park had a few, dont know if that was an exception or the norm

16. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

17. Albert Noel

to those who have emailed or pm'ed me, YGM

18. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Hey, to anyone here selling or looking to get rid of some LDs, let me know what you got...I'm just getting into LD...looking for stuff that either can't be found on DVD at all, or was "better" than the DVD (i.e., more extras or whatever), or collector's sets. In some cases, for some movies I'm only so-so about wanting, I'll be willing to buy the LD for a couple bucks rather than a new DVD for $15 or whatever. Sorry, I can't really mention the names of any movies I'm interested in, because I'm interested in a lot, so if you want to send me a list of what you have or something like that, it would be easier for me to identify what I'm interested in.
    The one title I will specifically mention here that I'm very interested in aquiring is "Young Sherlock Holmes".
    If anyone knows of any specific stores/pawn shops/whatever in the Baltimore/Maryland area that have LDs in stock at this moment, please let me know about them. [​IMG]

19. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

In Seattle, on University Avenue alone, you can go to Cellophane Square, Nanoos, and Roxy Music (also known as Second Time Around Records). They all have tons of laser discs.

On Roosevelt, around 47th, is Half Priced Books and they have quite a few too.

The best place is Videophile up on 65th (between Roosevelt and 12th) that used to be a LD store but has switched over mainly to DVD. However they still have tons of new (and cheap) LDs plus a lot of used ones that customers sell on consignment. I don't think we are supposed to shill for stores, but you can look up Videophile in the Seattle phone book. Tell Cort: Larry says Hey.