buying JBL speakers... s26 or s36??? help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe_waite, Feb 27, 2003.

1. joe_waite

joe_waite Stunt Coordinator

hey guys, im going to be buying some jbl speakers and not sure if i should get the s26 or the s36. whichever i get, i will most likely get 4 of them that will be used for the front and the back. i will also use a jbl s-center and a sony saw-40 sub. also, a HK avr-120 will be used. both of these sets cost $150 each so money is not the issue. i will be using them for 60% music and 40% HT. could you please help me out with my decision? thanks!!!

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Joe, very tough question since either setup will provide impressive near 100% seamless surround HT sound and as a semi-pro musician, ... I personally know that for 2-channel cd music, the JBL S26 plays back my jazz music like the more expensive JBL Pro Studio Monitors with the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality! (The JBL S26 takes its design queue from the JBL Pro LSR25 Studio Monitor).

I originally considered the JBL S36's due to Mark Knight recommendation** but since I didn't have the space for the S36 @ my right surround location, I bought four JBL S26s (Feb. 2002) and haven't looked back since.

So, which one too choose?

Let me just share some of the INFO I found after I bought my JBL's S26 / S-Center ...

Subjective & Objective reviews:

May 2000 Home Theater Magazine - Clint Walker wrote about the JBL S26 / JBL S-Center ensemble ...