Buying Guide - what would YOU recommend in a receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I would like your feedback to this question which will hopefully become part of a "Suggested Buyers Guide".
    Assume a non-technical neighbor or relative wants to buy a AV Receiver for a Christmass gift. They ask you for advice.
    They DONT want to learn about the electronics.
    They DONT want to trust the salesman at the store, do audtions, read reviews.
    They just want to know the make/model to go buy so their spouse wont be disappointed.
    YOU want to suggest a reputable unit that has great features or performance for the $$$, without major flaws.
    I'd like suggestions for AV receiver about $500 and another catagory for receivers for about $1,000. If you can quote a recent exact price, or a sale price out of the Sunday newspaper, great.
    Just reply like this:
    Fubar RC-xxxx $700
    (I'll be doing this same post in the speakers, accessories and game hardware/software sections so lets just focus on the AV receiver here please).
    Let the suggestions begin [​IMG]

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

I will get back to you soon, regarding this, i have to do some investigating us prices. Where im in canada, the cost for the equipment is more. I will give you my opinoion however.....

3. Sanjiv

Sanjiv Auditioning

Harman Kardon AVR520 on sale for $559 shipped at onecall.com. Just got mine, love it.
    Sanjiv

4. Shannon W

Shannon W Stunt Coordinator

Sony Str-da4es "7.1 Receiver" $634.95 + S&H (US) Just Got Mine and LOVE it!
    Price Right On Line Sales
    http://www.pricesrite.com/strda4es.html
    Clik Link To Go Straight To The Page
    Also Go to http://www.pricescan.com to check all you electronics prices
    hope this helps! if you have any qustions feel free to e-mail me.
    Shannon W.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX for $842.99 at "letsgodigital" through yahoo shopping.
    vsx-45tx

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

HK 520, seen it for $500-550 at different places online.

7. Kit_C

Kit_C Extra

8. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha RX-V1300 for $627 deliverd in August. I believe the price is lower now.

9. John Hester

John Hester Auditioning

Yamaha RX-V530 $299 at etronics.com.
    This model is identical to the Yamaha HTR-5550 with minor cosmetic differences. Just got this unit a month ago to replace a 4 year old Kenwood that had a burned out infrared unit ($180 for parts & labor? Darn! Guess I'll have to upgrade [​IMG] ). Coupled with my existing Polk RM5400 speaker set it sounds incredible. One of the key features that led me toward this receiver was its ability to simulate a center surround speaker when playing 6.1 channel sources. I really didn't want to go through the hassle of running and concealing wires for yet another rear speaker, let alone trying to sell my wife on the idea. After watching Gladiator with DTS-ES soundtrack selected I was convinced I made the right decision.
    I've read comments about Yamaha receivers being bright but this one is very neutral sounding. Dialogue sounds very lifelike. Bass response is also excellent. I wasn't too interested in all the DSP modes prior to buying the receiver, but after playing around with them while listening to music I became fairly impressed and find that I use them frequently for both audio and video.
    You can find great deals on both the RX-V and HTR Yamaha models if you shop around, but be forwarned that the 2 year warranty will be void if you don't buy from an authorized dealer. Since the etronics.com price was $100 below Best Buy and Crutchfield I decided to go for it. What are the odds I'll need $100 worth of repairs on a Yamaha unit within 2 years anyway? I'd say pretty slim given Yamaha's reputation for good build quality.
    -John

10. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

ok,

for the 500 catagory,

pioneer vsx-d811s or the yamaha rx-v1200 (549.00) on ebay.

for the 1000 catagory

pioneer elite tx 45 or the yamaha rx-v1.

I like the sound of pioneer and yammy products, they are a great value as well!.....

11. John_Drake

John_Drake Extra

Pioneer VSX-D811S $289.99 www.etronics.com
    Got mine last week. Great features, great price!