Buying Godfather Collection unseen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidY, Sep 25, 2001.

1. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

A local grocery store is now selling the Godfather DVD collection for CDN$78 (US$50 approx.) plus 14% taxes (pre-order with membership card only). Since I have never seen any of the Godfather movies in its' entirety and I have not found any online reviews, I am a bit cautious about buying it unseen. Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Buy them!!!! Buy them and see just what American Cinema is all about.... a masterful mixture of old and new Hollywood, career making performances, gorgeous cinematography, epic storytelling, stirring music, and Brando. It doesn't get much better than this.

3. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

Buy them. The first two are some of the greatest movies ever imo.
    ------------------
    - Michael
    My DVD collection

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    It sounds like an offer you can't refuse. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

5. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

If you only buy one bunch of films sight-unseen in your life, it should be the GODFATHER movies. Period. [​IMG]

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Considering the hefty price of this set and the, IMO, unfortunate inclusion of Part 3, along with yet another concern I'll relate below, I won't be buying it sight unseen. At the very least, I'm waiting for some reviews.
    Specifically, I'd like to know how the DVDs look in light of the following comments from James Katz about the deteriorating state of the original elements and the dire need for preservation work:
    quote: According to Katz, he and Harris are aching to do "The Godfather" next. Katz said it presents challenges similar to those on "Rear Window": "It's a dark movie, but with colorful sequences. And it needs to be saved." Having seen the horrible brown-yellow print at the movie's 25th-anniversary gala three years ago, I can testify to the necessity of salvaging this landmark film right now. Harris and Katz have got to convince Paramount to let them do it. Artistically, at least, it's an offer the studio can't refuse. http://www.salon.com/ent/col/srag/2000/02/10/sragow_window/index2.html
    Al's DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Al Brown on September 25, 2001 at 10:23 AM]

7. BlaineJ

BlaineJ Extra

I really enjoyed Godfather and Godfather 2. Having never seen Godfather 3, I can't comment on it, but it WAS nominated for Best Picture in 1990 (http://www.oscars.org/awards_db/index.html)- but probably just because the first 2 won best picture in 1972 and 1974.
    The movies are each around 3 hours, I believe, so make sure you have plenty of time to watch them.

8. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

9. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Restoration is always a good idea and worries about the state of the films' original elements are understandable. However, the widescreen laserdiscs I had of these films were quite good so I figure the DVDs can only be an improvement. Unless the transfers are just unbelievably, monumentally awful (and I'll bet'cha money that ain't so) this seems a no-brainer.
    Besides, this is THE GODFATHER we're talking about! [​IMG]
    No way I'd wait for another 3-5 years on the off-chance that Paramount will go back and revisit these films. I'll upgrade when and if that ever happens but until then I'm sure the current issue will be more than sufficient.
    But...to each his own. [​IMG]
    BTW: PART 3 is a very good movie in it's own right. It's gotten a bad rap due to Sofia Coppola's less than stellar acting but the effect of her amateurish work has been way, WAY overblown. No, it's not as good as the first two but it's still a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. IMHO, of course...
    [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Kenneth English on September 25, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

10. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I don't know why people regard this film as being vastly inferior to the first two. It was nominated for Best Picture. I think the third film is just as beautifully written, filmed and acted, except maybe Sophias performance, sorry Sopihia. She's a great director though,(Virgin Suicides). To people quick to dismiss this as being a poor film, how about forming your own opinion and jump off the "diss the Godfather 3" bandwagon. Try watching it again and really watch & listen to the story. The story is a bit more complex than the first two. That just one mans opinion.

11. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

http://us.imdb.com/top_250_films
    The godfather has been #1 for as long as I can remember. You can also follow the link to a large number of reviews of the film if that is what you are looking for.
    [Edited last by Martin G on September 25, 2001 at 11:15 AM]

12. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,
    It's Safeway, you have to be a club member, but that's a free signup.
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'm waiting. Given Mr. Harris' previous statements in numerous places about the need for major restoration, I suspect that this set is another Die Hard fiasco in the making. If they manage to get it right, I'll bite, but I'm certainly not willing to preorder this considering how bad these discs may look.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

14. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Auditioning

I agree with Kenneth. I got my review copy yesterday and the transfers from my quick look were good, if not better, than the last round of laserdisc releases -- which were, IMHO, VERY good.
    And Coppola did obviously approve this DVD (I assume American Zoetrope produced the DVD and its supplements), so I'd trust the filmmakers here.
    I don't mean to belittle Mr. Harris, but after the mixed results on REAR WINDOW (which looks incredibly grainy on DVD, IMHO) and the VERTIGO controversy, I think I'd go with Coppola's own transfers here.
    The bonus disc is great -- chock full of documentary featurettes (including the one that ran recently on AMC), and a fistful of deleted scenes (including an alternate open for III) presented in chronological order. Even the Oscar acceptance speeches are on there!
    If there's a better GODFATHER coming, so be it. But this looks just fine to me.

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm very glad to hear that! [​IMG]

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

17. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Auditioning

The point of Universal not spending the $ on REAR WINDOW is well taken.
    Having seen most of Zoetrope's transfers on titles like THE CONVERSATION (which you mentioned), plus discs like THE FANTASTICKS and TUCKER (the aspect ratio notwithstanding), I think these 3 discs are every bit as good as being in that company.
    If the films themselves need a restoration and are deteroriating, by all means go ahead and do it! [​IMG]
    I was basically referring to the poster who thought the transfers would be rotten and yellowish and not worth buying in lieu of a restoration -- that's easily not the case. On the small screen I think they all look fine, just going by my admittedly very brief look at them.

18. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Although we also have the Zoetrope transfers of Apocalypse Now and Tucker that are severely cropped at the sides (yes, at the insistence of the cinematographer, but still a travesty that irks me no end). I'm glad to hear that the Godfather review discs are looking good. Like I say, I'm just being cautious, since there is ample precedent for getting burned on highly awaited titles. I'll be happy to buy first-rate versions of the GF movies.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

19. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

THANKS, ANDY! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

20. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Patrick,
    Paul's right on the money...it's Safeway, seen it advertised in this week's flyer. As a bonus, I think that I can get Airmiles. [​IMG]
    Dave