Buying from another Member ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Slade, Aug 1, 2002.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I have done a few small trades, games, movies etc. Recently a few things larger have come up that I think about buying. Some of the people selling them have only been a member for a day etc. How do you protect yourself? How much feedback does someone need to have before you'll by a receiver or a console or sub from them?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Members who have just joined and then put equipment up for sale might raise an eyebrow. Just about your only real protection would be to see if the person will accept COD.

3. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

So who has made a purchase using COD?

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

James; I'd really watch both the new poster and the older poster with few posts!

Also keep you eye on the low poster that seems to post mostly 'for Sale" stuff and doesn't participate.

That being said, there are lot of members that either are reluctant to post unless a topic really moves them or doesn't have the time.

They may also learn what they need to by reading more than writing.

Brent

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

You can also ask for an ebay history, if they have one. Most trades/sales I've been involved with here on the HTF have started off with an introduction, and trade of ebay histories.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Or, simply use COD or an escrow service. Problem solved. If a new seller balks at both, stay away.

Oh, and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. I was just looking at a $1500 rack-mount computer case. Most online stores had it for about $1200. One shady little shop setup on Yahoo claimed to have it for $600. I called the guy up (no toll free number) and inquired about options for it. His response: "Oh yeah, sure, we have those, no problem." I asked about price on the rails. "Oh, $40 would probably be fine."

I wanted to say, "What do you mean, probably? You don't know how much this stuff costs?" The whole thing just seemed shady as hell. I thanked him for his time and bought the case for $1200 at a more legit looking business. The way I figure it, I saved myself $600+ and a lot of hassle. Buying from him would likely have been a mistake.